Christine Seybolt's Reviews > Undone

Publication date: 5/28/2012
Pages: 326
Reviewed by ChristineRCJR
Book Heat: SCORCHER

Inspired by the tale of Rapunzel, Lila DiPasqua offers a new steamy, emotionally charged historical romance in the acclaimed Fiery Tales Series . . . Rescuing this beauty from the 'tower' is only the beginning . . .

Maintaining her ruse as a commoner, and trusting no one has kept Angelica safe. But a chance encounter with a handsome stranger lands her right where danger lies. Now, this sinfully handsome man with arresting blue eyes and a polished manner thinks he's saved her life, when in fact he's placed her in great peril. She's intent on keeping him and everyone else at arm's length. Yet, the smoldering attraction between them is difficult to deny. And impossible to ignore . . .

As commander of a number of privateer ships, Simon Boulenger dresses and speaks like an aristocrat, and has obtained wealth. But he is still not a noble. Or an officer in the King's Navy. His lifelong dream to elevate himself from his station of birth and attain a respectable place in society is dead. Worse, he's ensnared in a deadly scheme, and must get out. But how is he to stay focused on his dangerous mission when the mysterious beauty has him utterly intrigued? He can't afford the distraction any more than he can resist the carnal hunger she stirs. Simon soon discovers that she's not only a passionate soul mate, but a woman born into privilege. A woman he can never have. But they're in too deep. Their hearts are at risk . . . as well as their lives.

UNDONE IS A FULL-LENGTH HISTORICAL ROMANCE NOVEL.

Review:

Life is good!! I was fortunate to read historical romance author Lila DiPasqua recent release UNDONE. A romance loosely based on the beloved classic Grimm’s fairy tale, classic RAPUNZEL. Before I begin I would like to share a little trivia with you. Did you know, that the brothers actually adapted their own story from its original author Charlotte-Rose de Caumont de La Force who originally published Persinette in 1698. I can say with quite certainty that readers will not be disappointed when they have a copy of UNDONE in their hands. DiPasqua has turned up the heat and chemistry between her characters as she sets her romance in the decadently opulent 17th century France. We the readers will devour every word as DiPasqua introduces us to the wonderful world and characters of UNDONE.

Before we get into the heart of the review I need t be up front with you. Lila DiPasqua is one of my favorite authors. I first became a life long fan the moment I had a copy of AWAKENED BY HIS KISS. The moment I read these sensual intoxicating love stories I was hooked. DiPasqua does not disappoint in her latest Fiery Tale series UNDONE.

A commander of a fleet of privateer ships, Simon Boulenger has come a long way from the orphan rescued from starvation form the French fishing village streets. Simon may have the cloths the speech and the money of the nobility but he is anything but. After everything he has done for his king and country Simon still dreams of being elevated from his station of birth and gain respectable place in society. Over and over Simon is denied the one thing he wants killing his dream. Things could not become worse, or could they? Ensnared in a deadly scheme he must get out. Simon cannot afford any distraction. He must stay focused on his dangerous mission. But when an exquisite beauty knocks him off his feet Simon realizes he will do and sacrifice anything to make this woman his.

Maintaining her ruse as a lowly commoner has saved Angelica's life for the last ten years. Trusting no one has kept her safe, but destiny thrusts a handsome stranger in her path. Now this magnificently stunning man with arresting blue eyes and polished manners believes he is saving Angelica from a fate worth than death. What he does not know is that he is bring her straight into the Lion’s Den and placing her life in peril. Keeping people at arms length have been Angelica’s Saving Grace. But the smoldering attraction between the two is playing havoc on her steadfast resolve making it difficult to deny.

Simon soon discovers he is in to deep. With a passionate noble woman who is soul mate and beyond his reach, Simon will do anything to keep Angelica out of the clutches of her evil maniacal step-father risking everything to keep her safe. What won’t the lovers risk to hold onto a love that defies all the odds?

I am in love! It was not too difficult to fall in love with Simon Boulenger, but that is not what I am talking about. Bear with me; I will get back to the delicious sexy Simon in just a moment. What I am talking about is the fact that author Lila DiPasqua had me falling head over heels in over with 17th century France. I am a proud-card-carrying-history-geek. Thing is I never delved deep into French history, except for the French Revelution. Guess what I learned? There is much, much more French history waiting for us to explore. Let me be the first to tell you that DiPasqua captivates the spectacle opulently decadent world of King Louis XIV and it privileged posh realm of elegance and excess. Readers will appreciate the fact of being placed in the heart of this extreme enchanting universe.

Enter Simon Boulenger. An orphan saved from the French streets of a fishing village, Simon has done everything to make himself a pivotal and respectable part of society, except for obtaining a noble title. Simon is a character that every reader roots for. Simon wins readers hearts not only because he is uber hot, he is, but it is the fact this man made something out of himself when he was given the opportunity as a child. Yes, he is jaded, like most men at that time were. Thing is, underneath all his vibrato beats the heart of a warrior willing to risk and sacrifice anything for what he believes. When Angelica slams into his life, his first response is normal when seeing an exquisite beauty, lust. We soon learn that Simon does not tolerate any mistreatment or unjust no matter social standing. Simon had this reader’s heart from that moment on. Now for such a steadfast and upstanding alpha male you need a woman just as unfaltering in spirit. Enter, Angelica, noble by birth but a tragedy has sent her into hiding from a maniacal blackhearted man that would see her destroyed. This fiercely independent character is a gem from the moment she erupts onto the page. She is not your cookie-cutter heroine. Angelica has deep pin that keeps her guarded. Even though Angelica tries to hide and denies what she is feeling for Simon the author’s use of explicit descriptively characterizations sets the pace to the unraveling of this deep love story. DiPasqua is wonderful in showing her readers through the use of imagery the depths of her characters and the world they inhabit.

I love characters. Without heart-breathing real-to-life characters where would a story would? UNDONE is filled with three dimensional characters that I would love t sit around shooting the breeze. But the characters that stick-out the most are the main protagonists. They wee just to delectable to resist. Here is one of my favorite scenes. This is the scene of of Angelica and Simon's first meeting. DiPqsqua is a true creative author.

“The delay grated on Simon’s already thin patience his frustration churning inside him.

Before he could utter the profanity burning u his throat, a blow to his chest shot the air from his lungs and knocked him off his feet. The back of his head slammed against the ground, dazing him. He squeezed his eyes shut. His sword, still clutched in his hands, lay with him on the packed dirt

As he drew air back I his lings, awareness seeped into his senses. There was a body on top of him. Not just any body, but a soft one with ripe breasts pressed into his chest—the unmistakable body of a full grown woman.”

Are you imagining what happens next? Good! Cruel I know, but I like to leave readers wanting more.

Lila DiPasqua sizzles while delving into dark and light into humanity and delivering a erotic powerhouse of emotions. UNDONE is a story of a lush tale of romance, sexuality and the fragility of the human spirit. Lila DiPasqua delivers time and again a delightful, sexy and a redemptive romp keeping readers intoxicated from beginning to end. UNDONE is one spectacular read that kept this reader up until the break of dawn glued to the pages by infusing everyone with plenty of sizzle and a compelling story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undone.