megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Unleashed

liked it
bookshelves: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
Recommended to megs_bookrack by: Jess

**3.5-stars**

**Please note, as this is the second book in a series, some mild spoilers for the first book are contained within this review. Proceed with caution.**

After the devastating events of The Haunted, Hendricks and friends are trying to return to normal. Not an easy task with Eddie gone and Raven remaining in a coma.

Hendricks, Portia and Connor, received intense group therapy and in some ways, it did help. However, Hendricks is still having a really hard time letting go of Eddie.

In fact, she believes his spirit still remains in Drearfield and with the right method, perhaps she'll be able to reach him.

She looks to Ileana for help. With Ileana's guidance, they gather a circle of seven and perform a seance with the hopes of summoning forth Eddie's spirit. The seance is of course performed on the grounds of Steele House.

Unsurprisingly, it doesn't go as planned.

Soon thereafter, Hendricks begins to experience hauntings quite similar to before. However, they are no longer restricted to just being within her home. Now evil entities seem to be everywhere; no place is safe.

The high school itself seems to be a hotbed of activity, with ghost girls in the hall and phantom music being played.

With prom on the horizon, Hendricks has been spending extra time there, as she agreed to the join the planning committee with Portia.

When Portia becomes the victim of a supernatural attack, Hendricks knows they didn't bring Eddie back. They brought back something else, and it's angry.

They need to redo the ritual and hopefully send this malevolent spirit back from whence it came.

This was a strong continuation from the first book.

Personally, I was devastated by the ending of the first book and honestly, that pissy mood sort of carried over into this one. I missed my favorite character too much.

With that aside, I did enjoy this. The first half especially. I loved how the characters involved in the seance were willing to help Hendricks out, even though some of them thought she was bat shit crazy.

I also really enjoyed the horror imagery. Vega definitely excels at that.

It did start to lose my towards the end. There was a great scene, that as far as I am concerned, could have been the final scene, but it continued on.

After that point, I was sort of out of it. It went way over the top after that and took away a bit of the seriousness of the earlier parts of the story.

Overall, this is a solid Teen Scream duology and I am very happy that I read it.

I would definitely consider picking up future releases from this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unleashed.

January 13, 2021 – Shelved
January 13, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2021 – Started Reading
March 22, 2021 –
page 20
March 22, 2021 –
page 32
11.76% "That was creepy AF."
March 24, 2021 –
page 60
22.06% "Heading back to Steele House 😯😰😱"
March 25, 2021 –
page 82
30.15% "It might have helped if anyone else, besides Hendricks, had taken that seance seriously! Grrrrr"
March 25, 2021 –
page 110
40.44% "Wake Portia up, Hendricks!
What are you thinking!? 😝"
March 27, 2021 –
page 229
84.19% "It just never ends with these kids!? WTH!?"
March 27, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
March 27, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Hasan (new)

Hasan "This developed a first season Buffy vibe..." Haha 😂

megs_bookrack Hasan wrote: ""This developed a first season Buffy vibe..." Haha 😂"

...a bit much...

message 3: by Hasan (new)

Hasan megs_bookrack wrote: "It really did! I love Buffy, so no shade, but you know that first season was sort of...
...a bit much..."

Yep it really was!! I tried a rewatch after all this time, and let's just say it double-downed on itself :D so I don't recommend rewatching season 1 to anyone now. I adore the slayer nonetheless :) After that it became so cool, way cooler than almost everything on tv at the time.

megs_bookrack Hasan wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "It really did! I love Buffy, so no shade, but you know that first season was sort of...
...a bit much..."

Yep it really was!! I tried a rewatch after all this time, and let's..."

message 5: by Hasan (new)

Hasan megs_bookrack wrote: "I couldn't agree more!!! I rewatched it not that long ago and was like, oh my goodness. The effects initially were a little cringy, but sign of the times, I guess! Hahahaaaa..."

Oh nooo you rewatched too 🤣 oh my goodness indeed!! What a trip it was hahaha

megs_bookrack Hasan wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "I couldn't agree more!!! I rewatched it not that long ago and was like, oh my goodness. The effects initially were a little cringy, but sign of the times, I guess! Hahahaaaa....." I didn't make it all the way through to the end though. I think I made it to season three. I'll get there someday :)

message 7: by Hasan (new)

Hasan megs_bookrack wrote: "I didn't make it all the way through to the end though. I think I made it to season three. I'll get there someday :)"

I hope that you do :) it's so much fun!