Marilynn's Reviews > The Greeks of Beaubien Street

The Greeks of Beaubien Street by Suzanne Jenkins

Jul 25, 2012

Recommended to Marilynn by: the author
Recommended for: adults, mystery fans

The Greeks of Beaubien Street is impossible to place in any specific genre. It's a mystery, but definitely not a cozy, much more dark. It's a cop procedural. It's a family drama. It even just ever so slightly touches on chick-lit because of the strong female protagonist and her psychic abilities, but then, not really. Do I sound a little confused? Maybe I am when it comes to a label for this book, but I am NOT confused about how good a read it is.
This book is great. It's great in the kept-me-up-until-2:00AM way. It's great in the I-didn't-want-to-read-too-fast-because-then-it'd-be-finished way. It's great in the wow-I-sure-hope-this-is-going-to-be-a-series way.
The central character is Detective Jill Zannos of the Detroit Police Homicide Division. Jill is investigating the brutal rape and murder of a beautiful young suburbanite whose body was dumped in a downtown Detroit alley. The reader meets Jill's family, boyfriend, and colleagues and gets a glimpse into the life of old Greektown, all the while the plot is moving toward a horrific conclusion. As the rapist and killer are revealed (SPOILER--no, they're not the same person), most readers will be thinking, "Oh, please no, it just can't be!"
Suzanne Jenkins' style is to write from a compelling third person omniscient point of view which allows us to creep into the minds of all the characters. I'm just not sure we want to. But I am sure we'll all want the next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greeks of Beaubien Street.