Sheila's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Jul 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012, new-gothic
Read from August 16 to 27, 2012

This was a strange one. Don't read this book if you:

* Like historical accuracy. This book was set in "the past" (no clue when it was supposed to be), but everyone talked and acted modern.
* Want to read a gothic. There are elements here, certainly, but I would call this a dark fantasy instead.
* Like clear, sensical plots. This was jumbled.
* Like consistent characters with clear motivations (the protagonist in this book makes some bizarre, irrational decisions).
* Don't like horror. I wouldn't call this a scary novel, but there are definitely some gross parts!
* Like realistic emotions. Despite being confronted with horrible monsters and dead people, the protagonist is never more than mildly annoyed--never gibbering in terror. It's strange.

Despite all these things, I did like the book, and gave it a generous 3 stars. It is really strange, and reminds me a bit of Tanith Lee (though not as dreamy) or Neil Gaiman (though not as polished or emotionally deep). I enjoyed the monsters (gods?) in the alternate world (yay tentacles!), as well as the descriptions of the changing house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.

08/26/2012 page 74
show 1 hidden update…

Audra (Unabridged Chick) V nice review -- I really struggled with this novel because I couldn't tell what it was and as a result, didn't know how to take it. I loved his writing -- very evocative -- but hated the characters and how they behaved.