Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Jul 25, 2012

Read from July 25 to August 07, 2012

Beyond anything else, I think my recommendation to read up to this point in the Song of Ice and Fire and Swords and Games and Thrones and Crowns would be best summed up with bullet points.

- Zombie bear.
- Lots of shocking deaths.
- Zombie bear.

I never thought I would give a Martin book more than 3 stars, and to be fair, the writing hasn't changed much, but there's so much excitement, so many twists, and so many characters actually moving through their arc and progressing that's it's hard not to keep moving to the next page.

All the investment in these characters from the previous two books starts to pay off. The deaths, when they come, and they come regularly, actually have some weight to them.

Though I'm still a little annoyed by the length, and in this book I realized why: He never crosses a notion that he doesn't want to stop and delve into. Every meal is described thoroughly, every outfit gets the complete write up (Spoiler, they wear a lot of boiled leather), and every Lord and Lady gets a mention even if they never appear in the story. Some paragraphs consist solely of the names of minor characters.

I get that fantasy stories do this for the verisimilitude, but it just feels excessive. He apparently planned this series as a trilogy, so you can really see the scope-creep at work here.

This book justifies the time spent reading the first two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.

07/25/2012
27.0% "A Song of Storms and Fire and Kings Clashing for THRONES!"
08/05/2012
70.0% "Zombie bears, and everybody dies. Quite fun."
show 2 hidden updates…