MelissaB's Reviews > The Panther and the Pearl

The Panther and the Pearl by Doreen Owens Malek

1320046
Nov 13, 2008

bookshelves: sheikh-books, exotic-locations, 2009-reads, favorite-historical-romance, historical-romance, captured-kidnapped-by-hero, paper-books-i-own, kindle-books-available-to-loan, kindle
Recommended for: fans of sheikh romance books or exotic settings
Read in August, 2009

The Panther and the Pearl was a fun book to read, I loved the exotic setting of 1800's Persia. The book starts with the hero, Kalid, buying Sarah, an American woman from the Sultan after he sees her just once in her role as a teacher to the Sultan's daughter. Sarah is of course not happy to have been sold to someone she doesn't know even if he is handsome and rich. Kalid knew that Sarah was the woman for him at first sight, so he did what he needed to do to have her as his own. After she is brought to his palace, she is placed in his harem as the new favorite. Kalid wants Sarah to come to him willingly, so he sets out to seduce her. But alas Kalid underestimates just how stubborn Sarah will be because although she is very attracted to him, she cannot get over his buying her and placing her as a prisoner in the harem.

The book goes through the very tempestuous courtship of Kalid and Sarah after their unusual start of him buying her. I really enjoyed this story, the setting was very interesting and I felt Kalid acted as a man in his position would have but he never abuses her in any way or forces her - he wants her to fall in love with him and stay with him of her own accord. Sarah manages to stand up for herself and show Kalid what she needs from him if they are going to make a relationship work, which is great to see because Kalid has such a strong will that he would have run over someone who wasn't as strong as Sarah. If you like exotic settings or sheikh books, I highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Panther and the Pearl.

05/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly I have this book too. Let me know what you think.

MelissaB I am going to go dig it out of the TBR pile tonight then start reading it. I will let you know, I think it sounds good to me - a sheik steals away an American girl that he saw and liked. I have never read this author before so I hope I like her style.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I'm looking forward to reading this one. I love the sheikh books and I heard this one has a very obsessed, possessive hero. Can't resist reading those. :)

message 4: by Corrine (last edited Aug 02, 2009 12:57PM) (new) - added it

Corrine Okay, a five star? That requires a review!

ETA: Yay! Sounds great. Thanks for a wonderful review, Melissa.

message 5: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Nice review, Melissa! I can't help but to be a bit wary of sheikhs. The whole harem thing makes me think of sex feasts and orgies, LOL.

message 6: by MelissaB (last edited Aug 02, 2009 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Hmm...let's see:

The hero does have a harem but he is bored with having women do everything he asks. He hadn't been with any of the women for a little while even before Sarah is brought there. He does not sleep with any of the harem women after he meets Sarah, and we find out in the next book that he got rid of them as soon as they were married.

Danielle - I think you will like this book! The hero is very obsessed with Sarah, as soon as he sees her he is intent on having her and making her fall in love with him.

MelissaB Danielle - a couple of situations in both The Panther and the Pearl and Panther's Prey remind me of the mini series Harem, I wonder if the author watched that for inspiration!

MelissaB Corrine wrote: "Okay, a five star? That requires a review!

ETA: Yay! Sounds great. Thanks for a wonderful review, Melissa."

Hey I must have read your mind (or maybe I actually wrestled the computer from my husband for once!)

message 9: by seton (new)

seton Eh. I dont think this is for me. I love an obsessed hero but this sounds like a E.M. Hull The Sheik retread (as do most sheik stories).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Melissab wrote: "Danielle - a couple of situations in both The Panther and the Pearl and Panther's Prey remind me of the mini series Harem, I wonder if the author watched that for inspiration!"

That sounds good, Melissa.