Bookgirl86's Reviews > Darker than Blue - This Mortal Coil

Darker than Blue - This Mortal Coil by Lawrence G. Taylor

A very interesting short story that takes a look at politics and race through the lens of sci-fi.
Since science fiction was invented as a genre it has dealt with heavy, timely issues in such a capable way and 'Darker Than Blue- This Mortal Coil' by Lawrence G. Taylor is no different in that respect.
Although this is only a short story, many important and relevant issues are brought up within it's pages.
This story is not only well written, but creatively immense in the sense of world building that it provides.
The contention between the Pinks and the Darker-Than-Blues obviously holds a lot of real-world symbolism and it was obvious to me from only the first few paragraphs what the deeper metaphors of the story were going to be. The look at the psychiatric institution that Boy Blue resides in—and how he has spent most of his life in these types of institutions—really added a deeper layer to the character and I appreciated having him as sort of the antihero of the story.
It is rare that a short story captivates my attention the way that this one did. I would gladly read a full-length novel set in this world.
Lawrence G. Taylor really created something fascinating here, a story that has broader strokes that remind of me something in the vein of Arthur C. Clarke or Ursula Le Guin.
This story gave me a lot to think about the way all good sci-fi stories should! Though it is a quick read, it is definitely one that you will be thinking about for a while!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker than Blue - This Mortal Coil.

Finished Reading
January 10, 2021 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Taylor Thanks for this review. Much appreciated.