Becky's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

F 50x66
Jul 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, adult, crossover-appeal, coming-of-age, fiction, sciencefiction
Read in July, 2012

Haunting, heart-breaking

One Saturday, 11-year-old Julia and her family awaken in their California home to learn that the earth’s rotation has suddenly begun to slow. The 24-hour cycle no longer exists. The day/night cycle gradually keeps elongating. The days become longer. The nights become longer. No one knows what caused this or how to stop it. The impact on the earth is great. Birds begin dying, then plants--crops. The food supply is endangered. The tides are extreme, causing major flooding. The population is stressed, relationships suffer, people get sick. The effects on the earth and all its inhabitants are far-reaching and devastating.

The story is told from the perspective of Julia who at the time of the "slowing" is just beginning to deal with the roller coaster of adolescence. Her innocence about her changing world makes the story very intimate and quite poignant.

I had questions about some of the science in this book and wondered about the timing of some plot elements, but I thought the writing exceptional in this debut novel, and I find myself thinking about this book often--a world so much like our own, but suddenly different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.