JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Nov 12, 2008

bookshelves: own, fiction, womens_fiction, z_read_in_2009, young_adult, reviewed, on_the_screen, 4_stars, z_setting_uk, bought_on_vacation, z_author_british
Recommended to JG (The Introverted Reader) by: Fiona
Read in February, 2009

Cassandra Mortmain lives in a castle. Don't let that fool you--the castle is crumbling around her family's ears. Her father had the (mis)fortune to publish an incredible book early in his career and he hasn't been able to write another word since. In other words, the family is practically destitute. But then the owner of the castle dies and his American relatives inherit the property. Two young, handsome, and available relatives. Will one of them fall in love with Cassandra's older sister Rose and turn the family's fortunes around?

I think that if I had found this book when I was about 15 I would have fallen in love with it. At 30, I really, really liked it. The story is told through Cassandra's journal, and she is brutally honest and funny. She's one of those characters that you wish you knew in real life. Really, I felt something for every character, whether I was amused by Cassandra's spacey stepmother, Topaz, or frustrated by Mr. Mortmain, they all got a response out of me.

The story was enjoyable--funny, sad, reflective, and everything in between--and kept me guessing all the way through. I had no idea how everything was going to turn out.

Primarily though, this is a story about Cassandra's coming of age. We watch her go from an innocent child swimming in the castle moat, to a young woman learning about herself and what she's looking for in love. Those parts were timeless and perfect. There can't be many women out there who don't relate to what Cassandra goes through in the course of the story. For that reason, I would recommend this to anyone who wants to relive a little bit of those years, as well as those who are going through that stage of life right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.

Quotes JG (The Introverted Reader) Liked

Dodie Smith
“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.”
Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle

02/16/2009 page 146

Fiona Looks like you're powering through this. How are you liking it?

;D

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Ah!! You're reading it! How is it? If I find it at the library I want to read it too.

Fiona Woohoo!

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'd recommend it, Hayes. I really enjoyed it. I should get around to writing a review today.

Fiona I Capture the Castle is spreading wings!