Shannon's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Nov 12, 2008

bookshelves: 2012-challenge

People have been telling me to read this book for a few years now, and I finally got around to it. I loved it! The hyper smart children didn't bother me, as that was one of the points of the book, and I loved how we got inside Ender's head, we could see why he did things, where as from another view we might assume his reasoning to be different. That's what this book was really about, not only how our choices affect the world, but also the reasoning behind the choices. I saw the ending coming but not from very far off, which is better than most books where I figure it out within the first few chapters. I loved all the battle tactics and the adaptation too them. The Ending was beautiful, and I look forward to reading the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Orson Scott Card
“If you try and lose then it isn't your fault. But if you don't try and we lose, then it's all your fault.”

Orson Scott Card
“Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.”

Orson Scott Card
“If only we could have talked to you, the hive-queen said in Ender's words. But since it could not be, we ask only this: that you remember us, not as enemies, but as a tragic sisters, changed into foul shape by fate or God or evolution. If we had kissed, it would have been the miracle to make us human in each other's eyes. Instead we killed each other. But still we welcome you now as guestfriends. Come into our home, daughters of Earth; dwell in our tunnels, harvest our fields; what we cannot do, you are now our hands to do for us. Blossom, trees; ripen, fields; be warm for them, suns; be fertile for them, planets: they are our adopted daughters, and they have come home.”

Orson Scott Card
“The story itself, the true story, is the one that the audience members create in their minds, guided and shaped by my text, but then transformed, elucidated, expanded, edited, and clarified by their own experience, their own desires, their own hopes and fears.”

Orson Scott Card
“I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly - I'll beat you unfairly first.
- Ender ”

Orson Scott Card
“Human beings are free except when humanity needs them. Maybe humanity needs you. To do something. Maybe humanity needs me—to find out what you're good for. We might both do despicable things, Ender, but if humankind survives, then we were good tools.”

Orson Scott Card
“Remember, the enemy's gate is down.”

“You're a monster.
Thanks. Does this mean I get a raise?
No, just a medal. The budget isn't inexhaustable.”

Orson Scott Card
“Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth.”

Orson Scott Card
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them.”

Orson Scott Card
“An enemy, Ender Wiggin," whispered the old man. "I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher.”

Orson Scott Card
“Since when do you have to tell the enemy when he has won”

Orson Scott Card
“I need you to be clever, Bean. I need you to think of solutions to problems we haven't seen yet. I want you to try things that no one has ever tried because they're absolutely stupid.”

Orson Scott Card
“Peter, you're twelve years old. I'm ten. They have a word for people our age. They call us children and they treat us like mice.”

Orson Scott Card
“Ender Wiggin isn't a killer. He just wins—thoroughly.”

Orson Scott Card
“We're like the wicked witch. We promise gingerbread, then eat the little brats alive.”

Orson Scott Card
“I know, you've been here a year, you think these people are normal. Well, they're not. WE'RE not. I look in the library, I call up books on my desk. Old ones, because they won't let us have anything new, but I've got a pretty good idea what children are, and we're not children. Children can lose sometimes, and nobody cares. Children aren't in armies, they aren't COMMANDERS, they don't rule over forty other kids, it's more than anybody can take and not get crazy.”
tags: books

Orson Scott Card
“I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.”

Orson Scott Card
“We have to go. I'm almost happy here.”

Orson Scott Card
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Orson Scott Card
“Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf.”

Orson Scott Card
“There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world.”

November 12, 2008 – Shelved