Ivie Isler's Reviews > Voluspa: A Magical World

liked it
bookshelves: teen-ya
Read from July 24 to 31, 2012

***Storyline: 4 stars Formatting: 2.5 stars***

Voluspa A Magical World is the first book in a series. The book begins with a snapshot of a war before the main characters’ time against the Tyrannos/Gangrels and the people of Voluspa. The end of the war reveals a prophecy. Fast forward a few decades and readers are introduced to Amy who is an outcast in school. After her step-father’s death that leaves her an orphan, she is taken to her grandmother’s house. While there she gets transported to Voluspa after reading about the world in her late mother’s journal. In Voluspa she meets Drake and friends who teach her about the world’s landscape/layout, clans, magic and a bit of the world’s history. Amy soon starts school in this new world and learns to harness her magical abilities. Later in the book her abilities are pivotal when she and Drake’s friends confront Lord Vali and the Gangrels in order to try and rescue Drake. The ending seems a bit abrupt, but that’s alright. Readers will just need to pick up the next book in the series to continue the quest that began in this one.

The book sets up the story for the rest of the series by introducing readers to the different realms, fantasy creatures, and magical items. One aspect that was very fresh and well thought out was the different magical abilities of the clans. In fact, the authors describe different levels that students must master before they finish their schooling. They even explain special skills people of the clans can try to master.

There are several things I hope the authors further flesh out in the series. First is that a Menden character is brought into the storyline. I’d like to learn more of that clan and the creatures associated with them—pixies. Also, I hope that Naiads are included as well. We are briefly introduced to these creatures, and Amy’s Naiad definitely has a story to tell—I think that she was Amy’s mom’s naiad as well. And I also hope that Mount Herio will be part of the series because that is a unique idea as well. Lastly I hope that Amy’s grandmother is brought back into the story. We were briefly introduced to her before Amy slipped into Voluspa. I think Amy can learn a lot about her own history and abilities if her grandmother is brought back into the storyline.

Since this is a self-published book, readers will need to get used to there being no indentions or extra spacing between paragraphs. Paragraphs can seem to easily run together. Also, there are several spacing and punctuation issues, but I didn't find any grammatical issues. If readers can overlook the formatting, then the story is enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voluspa.

07/25/2012 page 16