Ann's Reviews > The Winter Station

The Winter Station by Jody Shields

F 50x66

I would file The Winter Station under historical fiction, though the jacket reads as "based on a true story." Released in 2018, The Winter Station takes place in 1910 at a Russian railroad town in Northern China. It is winter and people are mysteriously dying. The baron, a wealthy Russian who is Chief Medical Officer, receives word that bodies were seen along the railroad tracks, thrown from a passenger train. When he hears rumors of frozen bodies being discovered, then hidden, in the remote station of Kharbin which is under his care, he begins his search into the cause. What he finds is terrifying. A quickly spreading plague has come to Kharbin. To care for the sick he must maneuver through the government, ethnic, religious, and cultural barriers that pervade society. The Winter Station is the story of medical professionals and their race to find treatment, develop a cure, and contain the virus.

The Winter Station is well written. I felt Shields has developed characters that are strong. Her descriptive details have the balance needed to form an image of each while allowing me to create a personalized view of how I saw them.

*Had I picked this book up when it first came out in 2018 I would have read it differently then now. I would never have believed something like this could happen now. However reading it in December of 2020 it was as if I was reading a very detailed description, almost word for word, of this past year. This story was set one hundred and ten years ago in a remote Russian outpost yet we were as ill prepared in 2020 as they were. Had we all read The Winter Station when it was published we could have been ready.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Station.

Finished Reading