Mike's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Jul 23, 2012

bookshelves: novels, favorites, permanently-in-my-brain, shannon, the-handful, 1001-because-why-not, classics
Recommended for: anyone

Nabokov said, “I am neither a reader nor a writer of didactic fiction, and, despite John Ray’s assertion, Lolita has no moral in tow. For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. There are not many such books.” No wonder I like him so much.

H.H. is one of the most extraordinarily alive characters in literature, existing apart from the book that contains him, living, like Hamlet, off the stage. An awkward, dandified, diseased, thoroughly and hopelessly loathsome but perplexingly charming man staring at you from the dark corner of the room; a whiff of rotten sweetness, expensive cologne, and the despair and blandness of evil. He’s unforgettable and eternal and so is the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

Quotes Mike Liked

Vladimir Nabokov
“It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.”
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

November 19, 2012 – Shelved as: shannon
June 20, 2013 – Shelved as: the-handful
September 12, 2013 – Shelved as: 1001-because-why-not
September 29, 2013 – Shelved as: classics

Shannon Great review! I'm going to be reading this very soon for the first time. I can't wait!