Sarah's Reviews > Madam Secretary

Madam Secretary by Madeleine K. Albright

11200508
Jul 23, 2012

bookshelves: america, politics, women, history-and-biography
Read from July 25 to September 04, 2012

I LOVED this book! Perhaps, I'm a little biased because I love Madeleine Albright and more than lean left politically, but this book is really well written.

Obviously, this book is rather dense. She covers not only her story, but more than half a century of global history as well. Obviously, it's a lot to follow, but Madeleine Albright presents this history through her own personal experiences with anecdotes and a very direct style of writing. It's a surprisingly easy read given the tough subject matters (Rwanda, Somalia, the Balkans, Communism in Eastern Europe, the Israel-Palestine conflict, etc.) thanks to her familiar writing tone. It feels more like she's telling you her story in a cafe rather than like reading a textbook full of dry facts.

She also acknowledges the unique challenges she faced because of her gender without dwelling on them. She acknowledges that it was a step for gender equality, but it doesn't fix the entire system. I appreciated that; it was a very grounded assessment of her historic tenure as Secretary of State.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madam Secretary.