Pamela Todd's Reviews > The Selection

Jul 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, read-in-2012, ya-mg, romance
Read in July, 2012

The Selection had a little bit of everything. Part dystopian. Part reality show. Part romance. Part love triangle.

For any girl, getting to be a part of the Selection is a chance in a lifetime. Prince Maxon needs a wife, and must choose between thirty five girls whilst the nation watches.

But getting chosen isn’t America Singer’s dream. In fact it’s her worst nightmare. By being chosen she must leave Aspen, the boy she really loves. Aspen refuses to be selfish, and urges America to go through with it, for he is a lower caste of society than America, and can’t give her the future she deserves.

America thought Prince Aspen was a weakling, a wimp who was spoiled and shallow. The reality was something quite different, and despite her preconceived notions, the pair embark on an easy friendship. And as the number of girls dwindle and America remains at the palace, her heart begins to soften to Maxon.

The Selection is a book you can’t help but fall for. It was a very easy read, but only in the sense of it was achingly easy to fall into. I found myself hating having to put it down to take care of mundane things like...life.

America herself was a likable character, and Maxon was the epitome of dream prince. I slipped into this world so easily I didn’t want it to be over. The author wrote herself such a good book that the wait for the sequel is sure to be agonising.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.