Kristine's Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

Jul 23, 2012

bookshelves: childrens-chapter, classics, mystery-suspense, read-aloud, kids-lit
Read from July 23 to August 01, 2012

FLASHBACK

Time: 1988
Place: Tyhee Elementary
Event: Mrs. Shepard's 2nd grade library time

I clearly, clearly remember walking around the library and seeing a shelf with thick, hard-backed, identical books on it. Those looked interesting. Something the older chaps might be reading. But I'm in 2nd grade now and know how to read words, right? Who is this Nancy Drew? Mystery? Sounds rad!

I go to check the book out at the library. Ms. Librarian refuses to let me check out the book - apparently it's 'too hard' for me. I immediately locate Mrs. Shepherd, and drag her back to the librarian. She politely let's the librarian know there will be no pre-screening books for little Kristine.

Ha! I'll show her. And I certainly do - over the next few years I *plow* and I mean plow through these books. The vanishing veil, the secrets, the clues, the passageways - oh Nancy, how in the world do you fiestily face so much danger in your well-dressed ways so often, so well?

FLASHFORWARD

Time: 2012 summer vacation
Place: Idaho Falls Bookstore
Event: Just Buying Books

Since bookstores are our weakness, we set a limit that everyone can only buy one thing. As Ellie goes directly to Disney princesses and glitter stickers (yech, but high interest books develop readers, right?) I go to check out the bargain books. Lo and behold I find this little series - a little retro vintage number for $2.99. Is it a coincidence that I reun into this series when the same year my own daughter enters 2nd grade as a 7 year old? Who could say no, right?

We read this out loud during bath time. I thought it might be too advanced (she not quite as voracious as I was at that age) and outdated. Outdated, yes. I had to laugh to hear about all the smart pantsuits happening in Nancy's wardrobe. Ellie is EATING this up. This girl is hanging off my words, SO super concerned about little Judy and everyone else. She's asking me if SHE needs to write her own will. Ha! My cute little bug. We finished tonight and she is ready for The Hidden Staircase, for sure.

{{cue Lion King Music, Elton John: "It's the Circle of Liiiiiiifffffeee.}}

p.s. 3 stars for the writing; 5 stars for sentimentality; averages 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.

message 1: by Wendi (new)

Wendi I love it!! I never read them, and now I am intrigued.