April Hamilton's Reviews > Desperation

Desperation by Stephen King

Jul 23, 2012

it was ok

I really, really wanted to like this book. At last, I thought, King returns to form with a supernatural thriller, and with the wonderful Kathy Bates narrating the audiobook, too! But I couldn't finish it.

The religious overtones are just too much for me. It's not just that they make the book preachy, but that in my opinion, they also make the plotting seem lazy. By the halfway point it became apparent to me that while evil would not always be defeated, when the author had decided that it *would* be stymied in its efforts, the way he made it happen would always be the same: a very young boy of unwavering faith (and a level of maturity that strains credulity) prays, and God answers with a minor miracle. This happens over and over.

I suppose some would say King's trying to make a statement about religion, more than trying to preach, since the boy's prayers aren't always answered. But to me, there's little enjoyment in waiting to see which prayer will be answered and which one won't (and therefore learn who will survive and who won't).

A disappointment. Five stars for Kathy Bates' narration, one star for the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperation.

Started Reading
July 23, 2012 – Shelved
July 23, 2012 – Finished Reading

Jessica I felt the exact same way. You spoke my mind.

April Hamilton So disappointing. I miss old-school King so much that every time he comes out with a new novel (which I know I won't like, since I haven't liked any of his stuff since the Dark Tower series) I just go back and re-read one of the old classics.

Jessica This was the first of his that i read.

April Hamilton If you like supernatural thrillers try The Talisman, Salem's Lot, The Stand or The Shining. There's even *more* scary stuff in The Shining novel than they could fit into the movie.

Jessica Okay, thanks. I loved the beginning, i just didnt like the end of this one. /: