Melissa's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Jul 23, 2012

Read from July 23 to 25, 2012

Also posted on Rally The Readers.

Set in Victorian England, Clockwork Angel is filled with wonderful surprises. As a huge fan of Jane Austen and other classic authors, I loved the setting. However, it had a dark twist with classic monsters, including vampires, werewolves, and demons, as well as some new ideas such as the Shadowhunters. Although the setting limits women in the mortal world, the women in the supernatural world are not stuck with such limitations. Tessa and Charlotte are kick-arse!

One of the biggest things that makes or breaks a book for me is the characters, and Cassandra Clare did a phenomenal job with her characters. Tessa is a fierce and courageous heroine who rarely lets the reader down. Charlotte, head of the London Institute, is just awesome; I don't even know how to describe her. Henry, Charlotte's husband, reminds me of Arthur Weasley from Harry Potter, and it's impossible not to love him. Will and Jem are a whole different story; I love them both sooooo much! They are both tortured souls, and although they are complete opposites, they find comfort in each other, making them as close as brothers. I still can't decide who I favor—it’s too hard!

I love my paranormal books, and this one takes the cake. It just doesn't compare to other books that I've read lately. I love the whole concept, and the plot is so good, you are always on the edge of your seat. Everything about it is awesome. I found this review hard to write because there was so much to say, but I didn't want to give anything away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

07/23/2012 page 75