Dija's Reviews > Speechless

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

bookshelves: aug-2012, arc, authors-i-stalk, awww, cotton-candy-fluff, cover-heaven, read-in-2012, wow, ya, my-reviews, reread-worthy, second-chances
Recommended for: People who talk too much or too little. And everyone else too.

I can't believe someone as good as you exists. I can't believe you even want to be around me. I can't believe how lucky I am when just weeks ago I thought my life was over.

4.6/5 stars

Speechless is cheesy, sappy, and predictable, yet an absolute treasure regardless. Unlike most realistic YA novels out there, Chelsea's story is full of hope rather than angst.

Saving June had greater emotional impact, but in a lot of ways, I loved Speechless more. The subject matter in Saving June has been addressed a thousand times in as many novels, but the idea behind Speechless is unique and more memorable. I'm really talkative too and sometimes I say things I regret later, so I could relate to Chelsea's situation on a much more personal level than I could Saving June.

Speechless is a gentle, beautiful story. I loved nearly every single character in the book (especially Sam! *dreamy sigh*) and felt so proud of the young woman Chelsea developed into by the end as compared the spoiled brat she was at the beginning.
But even though I know my flaws are many (many, many, many), and there are always ways I could be better, and I should never stop working for that - I also need to give myself a break. I can cut myself some slack sometimes. Because I'm a work in progress. Because nobody's perfect. At least I acknowledge the mistakes I've made, and am making. At least I'm trying. That means something, doesn't it?

I think all teens, and even adults, should read this. Speechless is definitely one of the most gorgeous message books I've read in a while. Strongly recommended!

For more reviews, visit my blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speechless.

July 23, 2012 – Shelved
July 23, 2012 – Shelved as: aug-2012
August 5, 2012 – Started Reading
page 29
10.82% "What an annoying brat!"
page 71
26.49% ""Stay sweet."\n \n That's adorable. I'm liking this much more now that Chelsea has to face the consequence of her actions."
page 117
43.66% "I love Chelsea, Sam, Asha, Dex, and pretty much every other character in this book who isn't against Chelsea."
August 6, 2012 –
page 177
66.04% "I'm in love with this story."
August 6, 2012 – Shelved as: arc
August 6, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 7, 2012 – Shelved as: my-reviews
September 7, 2012 – Shelved as: reread-worthy
September 7, 2012 – Shelved as: second-chances

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer You. Have. Now. Lol

Dija Yep! :P You plan on reading it?

message 3: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Since we got approved, sure. Why not?

Dija I hope it's good. I loved the author's debut novel, Saving June, though I've heard this one isn't as good.

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I just got this in the mail the other day, I am very excited to read it! I haven't read Saving June, but I should!

message 6: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I have Saving June on my trb list but I guess I'll read this one first.

Hermione I got approved for this, too!! x)

Dija I really hope you do, Jenny! Just writing this review made me wanna go back and read it all over again, it was sooo good. Hope you love it! :D

message 9: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith 4.6 stars? LOL. Great review!

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks so much, Mimi! 4.6 to show why I rounded up, rather than down. ;)

message 11: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith Dija wrote: "Thanks so much, Mimi! 4.6 to show why I rounded up, rather than down. ;)"

Ah, does that mean you have 4.4 stars a well? :D

message 12: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Yep. How did you guess? :O

message 13: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith Pure intuition. It's a gift really, my keen mind. Why, sometimes I even fancy myself psychic :D

message 14: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Oh, I know exactly what you mean! I like to think of myself as super mysterious. :D

message 15: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith Ooh, tell me more :)
Do you spend the days avoiding gunslingers and officers of the law? Or evil witches and trolls?

message 16: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I spend my days trying to evade questions. [image error]

It doesn't work. *sobs*

message 17: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith Dija wrote: "I spend my days trying to evade questions. It doesn't work. *sobs*"

A worthwhile pastime, for sure.

Oh, you poor baby! *cooing*

message 18: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Wow! Fantastic review. I'm not a fan of YA but I think this one will work for me. Thanks Dija.

♥Rachel♥ I did really enjoy this. I loved that first quoted. Sam was so amazing even though he was just an ordinary guy, he was extraordinary when I/Chelsea got to know him. Wonderful review Dija. :)

message 20: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Kristen: You're very welcome. I'm glad you decided to give this a chance. It's a really sweet story. :)

@Rachel: Thanks! And yep, that's exactly what makes Sam so special - that his character was very realistic and ordinary, but Chelsea ended up loving him anyway. :D

message 21: by Feminista (new) - added it

Feminista Lovely review Dija!

Hasnain Bahleem Nice review! Juat read this book myself! Amazing