Susan's Reviews > Comeback Love

Comeback Love by Peter Golden

F 50x66
Jul 22, 2012

Recommended for: everyone

Another book picked because I liked the cover! I was drawn in by the photo of a couple walking in the middle of the street on a gray overcast day,it looks like the aftermath of a snowstorm. The girl in a red wool pea coat and pale pink woolly hat, the guy in a black peacoat and red beanie, both in dark pants,arms around each other, walking; buildings towering over them in the city.
The story is about Gordon Meyers and Glenna Rising. A couple who meet in the 60's, having what is a rollercoaster love affair only to lose each other...We go back and forth between the 60's-reliving the past so to speak- and the present day when Gordon decides to track Glenna down for some mysterious reason, after 30 years! Novels written in this format can sometimes have very jarring transitions but somehow Peter Golden makes it a smooth ride. The two seemed to need each other but they also had this independence about them and maybe this is why things did not work out in the past? Gordon was a free spirit drifting through life, while Glenna was more focused but also quite temperamental. I did not really like all the drug references but then again, this story is set in the 60's so I guess the author was trying to capture the lives of some of the young people of that time. Some of the causes of that period are also in the book, like the Vietnam war, the abortion debate etc. There is abit of history in there too, I learned a few things. The story also captures the family issues and tensions in the lives of the characters. It feels real unlike many romances that are often saccharine sweet and sappy. We follow the arc of their lives until present day and through the ups and downs it is very hopeful. This quote captures that feeling so well:

G: Never fear. 10 yrs from now, when you're looking at this picture, I'm going to be looking at it with you.I love you, G

I rarely read love stories but this one pulled me right in, done in a weekend! Very heartwarming! Loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comeback Love.

July 21, 2012 – Started Reading