Karla's Reviews > Kiss of the Highlander

Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

5 Gigantic Stars!!! FANTASTICAL!! It was worth all the anxiety I felt for reading out of order. A few pages in and all that OCD flew out the window!!

“If aught must be lost, ‘twill be my honor for yours. If one must be forsaken, ‘twill be my soul for yours. Should death come anon, ‘twill be my life for yours. I am Given.”

This book had everything and then some that I look for in a story. A larger than life hero, who is cocky, funny, protective, loving, worships his woman and is SCRUMPTIOUS! Drustan MacKeltar...RAWRRRRRR!!! A heroine who stands on her own will, she's mouthy, pushy, smart, challenges her man and loves him beyond reason! Gwen Cassidy...AMAZING!! A story that captivates, charms, tugs at the heart! Passion, desire and love that is breathtaking and heart-pounding...YES!!! Secondary characters that play a huge role in the plot and are so intriguing, you hope that you get more of them, in future books or stories of their own.

I was overwhelmed with emotion while reading this book, but the last few pages made my eyes so wet, I could barely read to the end. I damn near passed out with Kip clutched in my hands! When I could finally breathe, I began to smile and I still can't get that shit-ass grin off my face.

Thank you to my dear friend Kristen, who convinced me to step out of the box and read out of order. It was no easy task for her to do, but I trust her and knew she wouldn't steer me wrong. Not to mention all of my other GR friends who agreed with her and encouraged me to go for it. You were all right, I didn't miss a thing. This books starts what is a mini-series within a series. It was everything you all said it would be and more. Thank you!!

Finally to Kris, who told me about her love for this series a while back. Why I didn't listen to you is beyond me. It's always been in the back of my mind and your profile pic was a daily reminder. You know me better than I know myself.

Dark Highlander here I come!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Highlander.

Quotes Karla Liked

Karen Marie Moning
Karen Marie Moning, Kiss of the Highlander

Karen Marie Moning
“He looked as if he'd stepped straight off the cover of one of those romance novels she ordered from Amazon.com so she didn't have to be embarassed by some supercilious male clerk in the bookstore.”
Karen Marie Moning, Kiss of the Highlander

July 22, 2012 – Started Reading
July 22, 2012 – Shelved
July 22, 2012 –
0.0% "I'm taking a leap of faith and going on my dear friend Kristen's word and READING OUT OF ORDER!! YIKES!! I can't breath.\n hperventilating "
July 23, 2012 –
10.0% "LMAO! Gwen and Drustan make quite a pair. I see a lot of head knockin' and hopefully boots knockin'!"
July 24, 2012 –
23.0% ""What have you stuffed in your pants, MacKeltar?" she demanded.\n "Nothing that wasn't God-given," he replied stiffly.\n "MacKeltar, I do not believe for one minute that that"—she gestured at the bulge in his jeans—"is you.\n "Then you will simply have to see for yourself. Touch me, lass. Feel my…sock."\n \n LMAO! Sock indeed...go ahead check it out Gwen, you know you're dying too *snicker*!"
July 24, 2012 –
38.0% "I am overwhelmed with my feelings for Drustan MacKelter...he leaves me breathless!"
July 24, 2012 –
42.0% "Friggin' amazing! Boy is this gonna be good!"
July 25, 2012 –
72.0% "Nell and Silvan...so sweet and charming, methinks they are in love!"
July 25, 2012 –
76.0% "The wee bonnie lass trapped the big bad laird...LOL!"
July 25, 2012 –
80.0% "OMG...OMG...OMG!!! My heart is going to burst...it is filled with love and joy!!"
97.0% "I am sobbing!!"
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: witty
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: wonderful-family
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: wonderful-secondary-characters
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: yummy-men

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)

Trish I loved this book. Loved the whole series. I wish KMM would keep writing this series.

Karla Trish wrote: "I loved this book. Loved the whole series. I wish KMM would keep writing this series."

Very funny and that Drustan...YOWZA!

message 3: by ★Ruth★ (new)

★Ruth★ I loved her Fever Series but I haven't tried this yet...is it worth a go?

Karla Ruth wrote: "I loved her Fever Series but I haven't tried this yet...is it worth a go?"

From what I'm reading...hell yeah!!

Kristen and many others suggested I start with this book. I NEVER read out of order, but then again I guess I do, because I am with this series.

Cassie Love this series!

Karla Cassie wrote: "Love this series!"

I can see why Cassie!

Cassie Nothing like some uber hot highlanders!!

Trish Ruth wrote: "I loved her Fever Series but I haven't tried this yet...is it worth a go?"

Yes, Ruth!!!! Start reading this series as fast as you can.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Great review Karla.....I am like you in that I don't like reading out of order but you ladies have convinced me! It is high on my list to read and will get to it soon ☺

Karla Dee wrote: "Great review Karla.....I am like you in that I don't like reading out of order but you ladies have convinced me! It is high on my list to read and will get to it soon ☺"

Believe me Dee when I tell you that it took Kristen an hour on the phone to convince me to do this. There was never a mention of a character or situation that would have come before, had that been the case I would have stopped as I've done many times before, not realizing that I was reading a book in a series. That won't happen here and when you are done, you're heart will feel like it wants to explode, at least mine did.

BTW...I saw the beautiful weather that you are having across the pond on the news this morning. My finger are crossed that you have lovely weather for the Olympics, I'm excited to watch!!

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Well, I am definitely looking forward to investigating the sock incident - that was what grabbed my attention to this book ha ha

I have banned myself from getting any new books for a while as I am literally buried under the weight of what I have sitting here waiting to be read, but I am prepared to lift that ban for this one...But sshhh don't tell the other books that are calling to me ;))

Yeah, Summer has finally arrived here, it's only about 6-7 weeks late! They are still predicting mixed weather though which could cause problems for the Olympics. The road bike race is on Saturday & Sunday and it goes through most of Surrey and will literally be passing my road so am planning to watch it on TV and then run out there when they are about 15 mins from my area ha ha....Hoping to get to wave/cheer on our guys especially after them doing a blooming fantastic job at the Tour de France, they were amazing and I was really pleased to see Bradley Wiggins was the overall winner!.....Thankfully Saturday is meant to be sunny but have a mix of rain & sun forecast for Sunday so hope it doesn't cause the riders too many problems.

Karla Dee wrote: "Well, I am definitely looking forward to investigating the sock incident - that was what grabbed my attention to this book ha ha

I have banned myself from getting any new books for a while as I am..."

I'll be looking for you! Enjoy the games!

Karla Kellie wrote: "Awesome review, Karla! I'll start this next!"

Thanks Kellie! YOU. WILL. LOVE. IT!!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ GREAT review Karla!! Makes me want to drop everything I am doing, call in sick to work, order take out for the family and not move until I finish it!!!

Karla Dorsey wrote: "GREAT review Karla!! Makes me want to drop everything I am doing, call in sick to work, order take out for the family and not move until I finish it!!!"

Thanks Dorsey. I actually thought about doing that, but alas my conscience won out!

message 16: by Wendy (last edited Jul 27, 2012 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Great review Karla! That's it, I'm taking the big step and reading this next. It's time to overcome my fear and read out of order. If you can do it my friend...I can do it to. *hyperventilating*

Wendy Kellie wrote: "Do it, Wendy!! You won't be sorry! I'm loving it!"

OK Kellie, done! I'm in a mood for a hot highlander too! Ooo, going to stalk your status updates on this one Kellie. ;)

Karla Wendy wrote: "Great review Karla! That's it, I'm taking the big step and reading this next. It's time to overcome my fear and read out of order. If you can do it my friend...I can do it to. *hyperventilating*"

I trusted Kristen 100% and she was right. You know I would never mislead you and neither would she. I am telling you Wendy, you are going to love this and the next book, which is fabulous too!! Kristen knew what I needed and hit the nail on the head with this one!

Wendy I know you guys wouldn't mislead. You know it's just an OCD thing, lol!

message 20: by Jenny E (new)

Jenny E Great review Karla! I love your excitement! How big a part is the time/travel/paranormal thing in this series?

Karla Jenny E wrote: "Great review Karla! I love your excitement! How big a part is the time/travel/paranormal thing in this series?"

Thanks Jenny. It's what drives the book, but doesn't overwhelm it! This is a wonderful love story!

Kristen Squeee! First, thank you for the shout-out. Told you! Hehe. I'm so glad you loved this book. I'm so reading these books again. Lov ya, Karla. MWAH!

Karla Kristen wrote: "Squeee! First, thank you for the shout-out. Told you! Hehe. I'm so glad you loved this book. I'm so reading these books again. Lov ya, Karla. MWAH!"

Thank you Kristen! You knew just what I needed and this was it!!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Your ststuses and review just got me to buy all the books from this series! So thanks <3 Hope I'll love it too :)

MelissaB Nice review!

For those worried about reading "out of order" the only real connection to the first two books are the words Highlander! It's not really a "series" to me until book 4-7 (Kiss, Dark, Immortal and Spell) because they actually are connected. Book 3 is sort of related and I recommend reading it at some point because there is a lot of info on the Seelie relics that play a part in the Fever series - but you can read it after books 4-7 because it's sort of a stand alone plot (except for the hero's lineage)

The reason people tell you to skip the first two books is that they are much weaker books and people don't like them and give up on the series which is a shame because the last four books are soooo good!

So I also very much recommend starting with Kiss - you won't regret it!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Well thanks Melissa :))) I'll read in order all the same, for some reason I'm allergic to skipping :S But now I know not to give up, there'll be better waiting :) Thanks :)

Karla MelissaB wrote: "Nice review!

It took convincing from Kristen to get me to start here, but I did and from what I can see after read 4 & 5 is that it's a mini-series within a series! I am going to book 6 next and then after 7 I will read that's the plan. Thanks Melissa!

Karla Blacky wrote: "Well thanks Melissa :))) I'll read in order all the same, for some reason I'm allergic to skipping :S But now I know not to give up, there'll be better waiting :) Thanks :)"

Yes, there is better waiting, although there are plenty of GR friends that liked the first 3 books too!

message 30: by Kristen (last edited Jul 28, 2012 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen Blacky, I really can't stress enough how the first few books aren't important to any of the other books (books 4,5,6, and 7). Look at them as stand-alone books. Melissa was right, other than the name Highlander, they have nothing in common with the other books, and, frankly, they are not that good of books. I'd hate for you to give up on this series because you didn't enjoy the first few books. You really won't miss a thing starting with book 4.

MelissaB Kristen wrote: "Blacky, I really can't stress enough how the first few books aren't important to any of the other books (books 4,5,6, and 7). Look at them as stand-alone books. Melissa was right, other than the na..."

Kristen,

I wish these books weren't shown as a "series"! I have had this conversation so many times because I don't want people to miss out on the last four books. Dark Highlander is one of my favorite romance books ever, it's tied at first with Surrender.

message 32: by Kristen (last edited Jul 28, 2012 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen MelissaB wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Blacky, I really can't stress enough how the first few books aren't important to any of the other books (books 4,5,6, and 7). Look at them as stand-alone books. Melissa was right, o..."

I'm with you, Melissa. I wish they weren't marketed as a series either. The first two books have nothing to do with the other books and book three is more for her other series. I loved Immortal Highland. Adam stole the book. Chloe is my favorite heroine in the books though. I can't help myself, I'm reading the books again. Lol.

MelissaB Kristen wrote: "MelissaB wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Blacky, I really can't stress enough how the first few books aren't important to any of the other books (books 4,5,6, and 7). Look at them as stand-alone books. Mel..."

Haha! I reread a little while ago, I need to reread soon! I like to listen to them too.

Chloe-lass is my fav too!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Well I'll see how it goes :) maybe I'll like the first three so it won't be a problem, but if I don't then I'll just skip them direct to 4 and so on.

Kristen Blacky wrote: "Well I'll see how it goes :) maybe I'll like the first three so it won't be a problem, but if I don't then I'll just skip them direct to 4 and so on."

Enjoy sweetie!

MelissaB Blacky wrote: "Well I'll see how it goes :) maybe I'll like the first three so it won't be a problem, but if I don't then I'll just skip them direct to 4 and so on."

I hope you like them all Blacky! The heroine in the first one is annoying but the hero is sexy!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Lol well I kinda have to admit I don't read books for the heroine XD a sexy hero, that's what I'm talking about hehe and a Highlander! I love them!

message 38: by Baba (new)

Baba  It was worth all the anxiety I felt for reading out of order.

OMG, I can't believe you did it, Karla! LOL Great review!

Karla Baba wrote: "It was worth all the anxiety I felt for reading out of order.

OMG, I can't believe you did it, Karla! LOL Great review!"

I know, it's a miracle! Thanks Baba!

message 40: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Good for you, Karla! Now if only we could convince Wen to read out of order.

Great review! I've tried this series a few years ago and couldn't get past the first book I'm afraid. KMM must have improved over time.

Karla Jill wrote: "Good for you, Karla! Now if only we could convince Wen to read out of order.

Wendy is sold on the series and is going to do what Kristen told me and start with book 4. It took a lot of convincing on Kristen's part, but once I started this book I couldn't stop. It was divine!

KatLynne So glad you loved it Karla! It is definitely one of my faves. Your review is so good I'm wanting to re-read this now!:)

Karla KatLynne wrote: "So glad you loved it Karla! It is definitely one of my faves. Your review is so good I'm wanting to re-read this now!:)"

Thank you KatLynne, it was fab and now of fav of mine too!! Kristen is going to read book 6 with me. YAY!!

KatLynne Oh WOW! That's Adam & Gabriella's story. It is sooooo good! Can't wait to see what you think of this yummy Highlander. He's one of my faves:) Enjoy sweet friend!

message 45: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Wonderful review. Thanks for the nudge Karla. After finally reading the Fever series I was intrigued with the MacKeltar's and have had this series on my TBR list forever. Reading out of order? Sure I shouldn't just plunge through 1-7?

Blacky *Romance Addict* Ann trust me - I thought the exact same thing. Then I read #1 and it was sooooo bad I can't explain it. Now I'm reading #4 and loving it <3 Seriously, if I read further I would have given up on the whole series by now.

message 47: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Blacky - Are 1-3 that bad?

message 48: by Blacky *Romance Addict* (last edited Jul 31, 2012 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blacky *Romance Addict* http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Here's my review for #1, I explained everything XD. I really didn't like it. It was badly written, so I had no wish to read 2 or 3, although they might be better... I'll go back to them when I finish the rest of the series. But the first was really bad. If I didn't know it was going to get better I wouldn't be reading #4 now.

message 49: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Blacky - Thanks for the review. Looks like I'll pass on #1. One sex scene!?!?!?! THAT drives me crazy. I want the goods more than once. Ok - it's #4 to start.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Lol and that one wasn't anything special. Now, here in this one... Mmmm some very nice scenes if I may say so myself hehehe it's not very connected so you can in back to the first 3 later, as will I, just to see if they're any good.

« previous 1