Siv's Reviews > Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol

Quit Like a Woman by Holly Whitaker

bookshelves: nonfiction

“...alcohol is addictive to everyone. Yet we’ve created a separate disease called alcoholism and forced it upon the minority of the population who are willing to admit they can’t control their drinking, and because of that, we’ve focused on what’s wrong with those few humans rather than what’s wrong with our alcohol-centric culture or the substance itself.”

Eye-opening. Big Alcohol is guilty of marketing the way Big Tobacco is no longer allowed to because our society has fully bought into alcohol as a good thing, a proper and helpful - even healthy - way to unwind and celebrate. Society has blamed the victims rather than accepted appropriate responsibility. And AA, which obviously has helped many, many people, was created by and for white Protestant men; it has defined what alcohol abuse means and what those who abuse it look like and has become widely accepted as the only real treatment option...even though it doesn't take into account the real and different needs of marginalized people, including women.

This book takes on everything we think we know about alcohol and addiction recovery and turns it on its head in helpful, practical ways. It should be widely read beyond those who suspect they might have a drinking problem. Because almost everyone drinks, and many people have addiction issues in other areas - eating, bad relationships, technology, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quit Like a Woman.

Started Reading