Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

liked it
bookshelves: historical-mystery, 2012, cultural, lit-ausy, reviewed
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Group Read Nov-12
Recommended for: Australian Author

good: 3 ½ stars. First off if you’re a Kate Morton fan you’ll love it. Definitely its strongest points were the weaving of Grimm style fairytales and a hidden garden into the story; I’m a sucker for both. Her characterizations are strong; Eliza Makepeace was terrific, definitely the most memorable of the lot. Other standouts included the simpering Rose & Adeline, her social climbing psycho of a mother. They were both so over-the-top weird, I found them fascinating.
not so good: The constant jumping between different time periods and characters was annoying. Used with restraint it adds suspense, when overdone (and lets be honest she did it to death) it ruins the flow of a story. Longer chapters would have helped. This book shines as a period piece, it has this great Edwardian flavour going for it, shades of Rebecca. Was the inclusion of the time period 2005 really necessary?… So, I was over 1/2 way into it before I was hooked and it took me over 2 weeks to read a book I’d normally have knocked off in 3 days.
bottom-line: This is only her 2nd novel, the lady can write…I’d recommend to anyone with a taste for long atmospheric gothic mysteries. This was my 1st shot at reading Kate Morton - it won’t be my last.

“A full moon meant that the room wasn’t completely dark. A silvery film spilled across every surface, smooth and dull like wax gone cool”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

July 22, 2012 – Shelved
November 11, 2012 – Started Reading
November 30, 2012 –
November 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Look forward to see what you think of this one Florence.

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh See you gave it 4 stars:) Thanks Dem!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Thoughtful review. Glad you pioneered it for me. I desire to read more Aussie lit, so you help my choices.

You pin the tail on the donkey with time hopping: "lets be honest she did it to death"--LOL.

Gillian Great review, with quote at end, Florence...

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Michael wrote: "Thoughtful review. Glad you pioneered it for me. I desire to read more Aussie lit, so you help my choices.

Thanks Michael. I've read so few Australian writers, maybe 10 books - what's the matter with me...And she really did the time /character jumping to death:)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Gillian wrote: "Great review, with quote at end, Florence..."

Agnes Houston Do you only read books with gardens in the title Florence? Lol

message 8: by Gillian (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gillian Florence wrote: "Gillian wrote: "Great review, with quote at end, Florence..."

Thanks Gillian, moonlight shining in a room at night does look like cold wax, she can turn a phrase nicely can't she. Did you read it?"

I put it down to finish "American Gods," for my other book club Florence, and now I am all up in "The Light between Oceans." "The Forgotten Garden" is next, I promise...

Melodie Bravo! Great review!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Agnes wrote: "Do you only read books with gardens in the title Florence? Lol"

A good title & cover get's me every time Agnes:)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Gillian wrote: "Florence wrote: "Gillian wrote: "Great review, with quote at end, Florence..."

I'll keep an eye out for what you think of it Gillian!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Melodie wrote: "Bravo! Great review!"

Thanks so much Melodie, I liked yours as well!

Jennifer I am thinking of starting off with The Distant Hoursthis month. I have heard so many positive things about Kate Morton and I think that it's time that I tried some of her books.

Rachel Kidd I agree, it would have been far better without the 2005 storyline, in fact, it may just be me but I'd have preferred to just read Georgiana and Eliza's tale from start to finish and not bothered with the 1975 story either for this one!