Flew Flewelling's Reviews > Shell Game

Jul 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adolescent
Read from July 22 to August 08, 2012

There was so much that Pearson could have done with these books. The idea was solid. The first book was great.

Unfortunately the farther into them we go, the more they don't seem planned at all, but just a haphazard mixture of experiences the Kingdom Keepers have. Each book doesn't really give any knew information, it just strings you along. For instance, why has it taken so long to see any of Disney's good guys? I mean we're in the fifth book and we only have a glimpse Mickey and half a chapter of Posiden, who, I might add, isn't really one of the main good guys. Another example, we're in the fifth book, and Finn is still Finn. Pearson has hinted at making 7 books all in all. This sounds surprisingly like another really famous series that just ended about a little boy and his seven years/seven books. But where Pearson falls short is the lack of growth in his characters, particularly Finn, but the others included. Jess and Amanda are still fairlies that we don't know anything about. Wayne is still this aloof old guy who doesn't really give any direction to the KK's except to torment Finn with his riddles. The characters seem stagnant.

Overall, I liked Pearson's original ideas and thought there was a lot he could have done with it. Unfortunately, he didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shell Game.

Drew Graham I agree completely with your review. Great concept, terrible execution.