Katie Harris's Reviews > You Take It From Here

2000147
Jul 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from July 22 to August 06, 2012

For 14 years I have been reading Ribon's words wherever they were made available to me: blogs, reviews, books, tweets. I've looked at her flickr photos, watched her vlog, watched her episodes come to life. When I found out she had a new book coming out, I pre-ordered it without even reading the synopsis because I knew I'd love it

Well. I was wrong. I hated every second of it. And, yet, You Take It From Here is probably the best book I've ever read. Hands down.

The week I started reading, two of my friends were tested for cancer. I had to put the book down for awhile. I just couldn't handle it. And then, even when we got the good news that so far all tests results have been cancer-free, I still didn't want to start reading again. I was dreading it. It hurt already, how could I make it to the inevitable conclusion?. But I eventually had to because I try to always finish a book I started and I really wanted to read something else. So, yesterday, I hesitantly opened YTIFH once more.

If you've ever read any of Ribon's work you know how real her characters are, how you can still hate them at times, but always love them anyway because they are so rich with humor and vibrant with life. As much as I was dreading it, it was so easy to fall back into, so easy to finish. Even if the entire journey was excruciating.

Read this book. Ribon doesn't pull any punches here. She tells you like it is, every gut-wrenching, breathless second of it. It's going to be painful and it's okay if you need to step away as many times as it takes, just make sure you pick it back up. Because it's totally, 100% worth it.

Pamela Ribon, I hatechoo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Take It From Here.

07/22/2012 page 76
23.0% "Well. I made it to page 52 before crying the first time. Then 64, then 74. The next couple hundred pages are gonna be rough!"