Steph's Reviews > Stars & Stripes

Stars & Stripes by Abigail Roux

Jul 22, 2012

bookshelves: kindle-read, favorites-2015-and-before
Read from August 14 to 15, 2012

Some spoliers ahead, I would advise reading only if you have read the book...

This book starts when Ty and Zane have been living together for two months. They’re both incredibly happy waking up together every day and spending all their time together. It’s had a great impact on them as a couple and I feel like this is the happiest we have ever seen them.

It was great to see Ty’s family again, Ty’s mum, Mara, was hilarious and provided a great start to this book.

'"Fun doesn’t start with a story about how you cut Dad’s finger off!" Ty said, laughing despite himself.’
"It does in my book. He deserved it."

When staying at his parents’ house for the weekend, Ty does exactly what I was hoping he would do, decides that it’s time to tell his parents about his relationship with Zane. He really wants Zane to be a part of his family.
But even though Ty made that incredibly hard decision, it was taken out of his hands when good old Grandpa Chester drops the bomb!

"What," he asked. "Y’all didn’t know they was sweethearts?" Lol.
It literally took my breath away, I just couldn’t believe it. Once his parents got over the initial shock of the revelation, I thought they were really understanding and the fact that they were just happy that their son had found someone to love and who made him happy, was just beautiful.

We didn’t get to see too much of Deacon this time around but as always, he was a real blast. I was laughing my arse off at their discussion about baby names, if it’s a boy.
"Rigsdale. Oh God, Deacon."
"I know, I’m praying for a girl."
Ahahaha

The family emergency for Zane took us back to his hometown in Texas. I could not wait to meet Zane’s family and have the opportunity to learn more about him.

As always, I loved their bedroom banter, even when they’re apart.

'"As good as that was, I prefer it in person," Zane thought.
Ty chuckled, the sound dark and familiar. ”Now go clean yourself off. Look at you, you should be ashamed.”
"Ditto, you pervert,"
Zane grunted, smiling.
"Goodnight, Zane."
"Night, Ty."

I love how close they are, how much they miss each other. It was so sweet of Ty to drop everything and get his arse over to Texas to be with Zane, who clearly needed him. He’s such an amazing guy.

This thought from Zane really made me chuckle. It’s Ty all over.
'Ty really was the type of guy who would ninja roll through the lobby of a government building and just keep walking as if nothing had happened.’ Ahahaha

Now we finally get to meet ‘Dragon of the Year’, Zane’s mother Beverly. She such a horrible person and I can totally see why Zane was terrified of becoming like her. It was great when Ty stood up to her, she deserved a lot worse too.
I immediately warmed to Zane’s dad (Harrison); he’s so calm and content. I really liked that he notices straight away the change in Zane and that Ty is the one who’s making the difference, making his son happy. Zane tells him and his sister Annie about he and Ty and they’re so happy for him. They were so scared for Zane that he would never recover from losing his wife and would become as cold and heartless as his mother. They made it very clear to Ty just how grateful they are to him for bringing Zane back to life.

Every single book has been outstandingly sexy and I always have a few favourite scenes/quotes, this book was no exception…

'That hat, the compass rose pendant, and the grin were the only things Ty wore now. Zane’s breath came in shallow bursts as Ty climbed into his lap.
"You told me if I ever came to Texas you’d teach me how to ride," Ty drawled.'
Oh my God! My heart was beating so fast. Now that’s one image I never want to forget. Ty naked wearing a Stetson, wow!

Another favourite of mine was them at the bar. Ty still wearing his Stetson, drinking beer was too much for poor Zane to handle. But it was also a really sweet moment…

'Jesus, waiting until they got home was going to kill him.
"Will you sing something for me?" he asked, low and intimate.
Ty swallowed hard, and they’re eyes locked as Ty licked his lips. "Anything you want to hear."
Zane (so touched by Ty’s response) drags him to the nearest cupboard for some 'serious lovin'. lol

I hated the prejudice we saw against Ty and Zane’s relationship and it just makes them more reserved about people finding out about them (back home and at work). As if it wasn’t hard enough already, but knowing as much about Ty and Zane, their beautiful connection and how much they mean to each other just makes me want to punch those guys in the face. But they handled it so well and with such dignity that it bought tears to my eyes.

What I liked most about this book was how being in Texas affected them both. Zane slowly became more relaxed and Ty was just… Ty.

'Ty frowned. "I don’t hate all other animals."
"Horses. Dogs. Chipmunks."
"They’re twitchy, Zane. And chipmunks have shifty eyes."
"Moths?"
"They have erratic flight patterns."

Zane doubled over, laughing so hard he couldn’t catch his breath.’
No kidding, I was ’this close’ to wetting myself.

I enjoyed the storyline, but I was very happy to see that this book focused a lot more on just Ty and Zane than the current case they were working on. As much as I love the cases, it was lovely to just see them be together and relax.
Although Julian Cross doesn’t actually make an appearance, he comes and takes Smith and Wesson whilst they’re in Texas. Poor Ty is gutted because he really loved having them around.

I think the book ended perfectly, showing us that Zane will do anything to make Ty happy (like Ty does for him). He loves him so much that Ty’s happiness is all that really matters to him.
'"Thank you," Ty whispered against his ear.
"Anything you love that much… it’s worth any price." Ty stepped back, his eyes shining. "I love you."

This was my favourite of the series so far. After reading all six books in the past month I am devastated that I have finished them all now and have to wait such a long time to see Ty and Zane again. I have loved getting to know them and seeing their relationship grow from strength to strength. I will miss them so much and will be counting down the days until I can read about them again.
Thank you, Abigail Roux. This is one of my all-time favourite series and I look forward to more of your work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars & Stripes.

Quotes Steph Liked

Abigail Roux
“I love you," Ty said out of the blue, his voice almost sing-song.
Zane laughed. "You're drunk."
"I loved you before I was drunk.”

Abigail Roux
“Ball prints on my hood!”

Abigail Roux
“She told me to wait,that I was going to lose a finger." Earl looked toward the kitchen and back at Ty and Duece. He snorted. "I asked her, did she think I was stupid? Then a couple of snips later, whack. Off went the finger. And you know what that woman said to me? I said 'Mara you cut my finger off.' And your mother said to me, 'Well Earl who's stupid now?”

Abigail Roux
“I want you to put 'He didn't want to ride the damn horse' on my tombstone.”

Abigail Roux
“Had a gay bull I had to sell last year. That was a damn nuisance. Gay son? That don't cost me nothing.”

Abigail Roux
“What are you two up to today?"

"Oh, I just figured I'd show Ty some more of Texas. Head down to San Antonio and visit the Bureau office there," Zane said. He shot a sideways look at Ty. "Maybe spend the night in Beaumont."

Ty smacked his forehead and turned his head away.

"Not much in Beaumont to see," Harrison said with a frown.

Zane grinned. "Even so, we're going to try to get it in." Ty had his hand over his mouth, his head down. He was either going to throw up or he was laughing. Harrison felt he'd missed a joke, but he thought maybe he didn't want to know.”

Abigail Roux
“He had no doubt that he knew who Ty was now, inside and out. He knew every one of Ty's quirks and weak spots and favorite things. He knew what Ty found funny and what annoyed him. He knew what would break his heart. He knew how to touch him to drive him wild, and when to back off when Ty was having a bad day. He knew that Ty was kind and loyal and funny, that he had a deep sense of honor and righteousness. He knew that Ty would die to save a stranger, and kill to save a friend. That was the type of man he was.”
tags: ty

Abigail Roux
“You gonna fight me, faggot?” Ty looked him up and down, then glanced at the men behind him. He shook his head. “Not until you make it a fair fight. Go get more friends. I’ll wait.”

08/14/2012
25.0% "Holy Shit, this book will be the death of me! So sexy, I can hardly breathe. Oh how I missed you boys :)"
08/15/2012
48.0% "Love the bar scenes. Ty wearing his Stetson, so cute."

message 1: by Shiran (new)

Shiran Just so you know this cover looks very dodgy from far :P

Steph Hehe, it doesn a little doesn't it? lol

It's an incredible book though. Loving every second of it. I'll be gutted when I finish it and have to wait a year for the next one :(

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Steph! Awsome quotes! I wish my reader had the highlight option, I saw such good ones in this book <3 But yeah, the beginning when Mara cuts off Earl's finger was epic XDXDXD

Steph Thanks Blacky. Glad you like it :)

I just read them again. I love the one about 'Shifty squirrel eyes' ahahahah

I forgot how long this review was, I just couldn't seem to stop lol

Blacky *Romance Addict* ahahah so's mine, one of the longest I wrote XD I guess because it's the last book I had a lot to say hahah and a lot of importatn stuff happened here :)

Steph I agree. There were so many wonderful little details :)

I have heard that the next one will called 'Touch & Geaux' (Spelling? lol). Have you heard anything about that? :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* don't know when it will be out, but there are a few spoilers on these pages if you want to take a look :)