Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Push

The Push by Ashley Audrain
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4627974
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: 2021, 5-fangs, audible, audiobook, best-2021, dark, grief, twisted

R.A.W.

Raw: The feelings The Push brought out in me. The feelings Ashley Audrain masterful made me have about Blythe. The raw pain Blythe narrates as she is drowning in pain.

This novel is disturbing in the right kind of way. No one says motherhood is easy. We all know it is not. But giving birth to a child who doesn't love you and might be evil is not something that is spoken about or thought about. After all, babies are cute and sweet. Or are they? Some might say they are very hard work with the sleepless nights, the tantrums, the teething, the terrible twos but how about the complete emotional disconnection with one parent. Is it possible?

The main character is Blythe. She came from a line of women who failed at being mothers. Either from depression or just a lack of maternal instinct or a mixture of both. She tells us a story of how she met the man she fell in love and after marrying him, he started pushing her to get pregnant. Blythe is not sure she wants to be a mother but she knows she wants to make her husband happy.

Once the baby comes, nothing goes the right way. Little by little, Blythe starts to believe that Violet, her daughter, has something wrong with her. She's calculating, manipulative and cold. Violet only has eyes for her father. While he is home, she's a perfect angel but when she is alone with Blythe there is never peace. Is Violet evil or is Blythe suffering from post-partum depression/psychosis?

Chilling with its frankness, The Push is a novel that I will never forget.

Cliffhanger: No

5/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
105 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Push.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

January 3, 2021 – Shelved
January 3, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2021 – Started Reading
February 14, 2021 – Finished Reading
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: 5-fangs
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: audible
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: audiobook
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: best-2021
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: dark
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: grief
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: twisted

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael David Fantastic review, Sheyla! It definitely sounds memorable. I'll be reading it soon.


Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla! It definitely sounds memorable. I'll be reading it soon."

It was. Disturbing but so good.


Farrah "Chilling with its frankness"...... So true!! Love your review Sheyla!


message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Wonderful review, Sheyla! This book sounds very interesting!


Sheyla ✎ Farrah wrote: ""Chilling with its frankness"...... So true!! Love your review Sheyla!"

Thank you, Farrah!


Sheyla ✎ Nicole wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla! This book sounds very interesting!"

It was Nicole. Great job with the audio too.


Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Great review I have this but some friends have really disliked it, sitting on it for now😐


Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Great review I have this but some friends have really disliked it, sitting on it for now😐"

It's not an easy read.


message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I just got the audiobook and can’t wait to listen to it. Super review.


Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Totally agree! Glad you connected so strongly to this as well Sheyla! Great review!


Sheyla ✎ Liz wrote: "I just got the audiobook and can’t wait to listen to it. Super review."
The audio is excellent. She does a very convincing Blythe.


Sheyla ✎ Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Totally agree! Glad you connected so strongly to this as well Sheyla! Great review!"

Thank you, Lidsay.


Tina This to me was disturbing but worth all those 5 glowing stars!! A great review Sheyla!!


Kelli Agree! I almost wish I had listened to this but I couldn’t put the book down!


message 15: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Woodward Amazing review, Sheyla!


Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "This to me was disturbing but worth all those 5 glowing stars!! A great review Sheyla!!"

Thank you, Tina. It was so well-written.


Sheyla ✎ Kelli wrote: "Agree! I almost wish I had listened to this but I couldn’t put the book down!"

The audio was stellar.


Sheyla ✎ Catherine wrote: "Amazing review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Catherine.


Tina This certainly was a disturbing book but so great. An excellent review Sheyla!


Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Wonderful review, Sheyla!


Michelle Terrific review, Sheyla! 💖 I won't forget this one either and it is definitely a 2021 favorite for me.


message 22: by Yun (new)

Yun Awesome review, Sheyla! So glad you enjoyed! :)


message 23: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat This sounds so much like Baby Teeth which didn't work for me, but I'm happy it did for you! Nice review, Sheyla.


Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "This certainly was a disturbing book but so great. An excellent review Sheyla!"

Thank you, Tina. I thought it was great!


Sheyla ✎ Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Brenda.


Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "Terrific review, Sheyla! 💖 I won't forget this one either and it is definitely a 2021 favorite for me."

It is one of my favorites too, Michelle.


Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Awesome review, Sheyla! So glad you enjoyed! :)"

Thank you, Yun.


Sheyla ✎ Kat wrote: "This sounds so much like Baby Teeth which didn't work for me, but I'm happy it did for you! Nice review, Sheyla."

I didn't read Baby Teeth but some of my friends say it's way different.


Susan Z Spot on with "chilling in its frankness". Great review!


Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Great review, I've been sitting on this one but will have to give it a go soon :)


Sheyla ✎ Susan Z wrote: "Spot on with "chilling in its frankness". Great review!"
Thank you, Susan 🤗🤗


Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Great review, I've been sitting on this one but will have to give it a go soon :)"

I hope you like it as much as I did.


back to top