Katie's Reviews > Some of My Best Friends Are Black: The Strange Story of Integration in America

Some of My Best Friends Are Black by Tanner Colby

Jul 22, 2012

bookshelves: culture

Outstanding. Colby deftly weaves personal narratives of integration into documented history--much of it lesser known and more in-depth than what you read in typical histories of civil rights. You'll learn surprising facts about school integration, housing, employment, and religion. All the while Colby works to find examples of hope, where integration seems possible.

My one gripe is that I felt somewhat uncomfortable when it seemed Colby repeatedly was saying, "Because of self-segregation, blacks are just as responsible!" But then it became clear that he was couching that in the historical iniquities that led to self-segregation.

Multiple thumbs up.This is a valuable work for understanding our collective American identity, and despite its popular tone, I think it would be a valuable classroom text for units and courses on civil rights and American identity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some of My Best Friends Are Black.