Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: wit, fantasy, lit-brits, religion, 2013, reviewed, favs-recent, classics-modern

No getting around it, it IS funny! Clever satire that’s harmlessly irreverent. I wasn’t rolling on the floor or anything but I had 4 (I counted) laugh-out-loud moments, a few good giggles & a smile on my face throughout. A great story that moves along very nicely, as Good and Evil (as represented by the angel Aziraphale & the demon Crowley) join forces to try & avert the apocalypse. Definitely held my interest.
The interplay between these two was what really made the story, liked it when they put their differences aside & just hung out. Another highlight was the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse; Death, War, Famine & Pollution (yes pollution...I know, it’s supposed to be Pestilence - read the book:)) who make their appearance as Hell’s Angels. Actually the book is loaded with great characters, there's even a cute little dog, The Hound from Hell morphed into a cat chasing mongrel.

Literature defined. Simple enough to grasp but complex enough to inspire thought.
Yeh, it’s that. You might find yourself contemplating some pretty deep stuff, like "the big ineffable plan" or the murky line defining mankind as basicly good or evil. Or maybe not, I’ve been over-thinking everything lately.

"Crowley found devil worshippers a little embarrassing. You couldn’t actually be rude to them, but you couldn’t help feeling about them the same way that, say, a Vietnam vet would feel about someone who wears combat gear to Neighborhood Watch meetings."

As Fantasy / Humor – 5 well deserved stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

July 22, 2012 – Shelved
March 3, 2013 – Started Reading
March 8, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Yeah, Florence! Breaking into some golden teamwork between two brilliant writers. Makes you wonder how they divided the creations. Did one specalize in good and the other evil?

message 2: by Melodie (new) - added it

Melodie Great review! I'm adding this one to the list.

Kelly Sounds good! I loved the quote you included at the end of your review - LOL!

message 4: by Florence (Lefty) (last edited Mar 13, 2013 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Michael wrote: "Yeah, Florence! Breaking into some golden teamwork between two brilliant writers. Makes you wonder how they divided the creations. Did one specalize in good and the other evil?"

I wish I knew, Michael - these authors both new to me & both have written a staggering number of books. I can't see myself committing to a series so I've decided on American Gods, get's great reviews. No, I just changed my mind The Graveyard Bookinstead, just read your review on it:)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Melodie wrote: "Great review! I'm adding this one to the list."

Melodie, thankyou so much. It's not the type of book I'd normally read, picked it because I like to move out of my comfort zone sometimes, plus it gets great reviews. FYI, it's not an attack on religion, just fun pokes and a great story.

Kelly Florence wrote: "Michael wrote: "Yeah, Florence! Breaking into some golden teamwork between two brilliant writers. Makes you wonder how they divided the creations. Did one specalize in good and the other evil?"
..."

The Graveyard Book is cute!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Kelly wrote: "Florence wrote: "Michael wrote: "Yeah, Florence! Breaking into some golden teamwork between two brilliant writers. Makes you wonder how they divided the creations. Did one specalize in good and ..."

Kelly, found The Graveyard Book for 25 cents this weekend, and a pile of others. At a church rubbish sale of all places:)

Kelly I love a book for 25 cents! Good find :-) Actually I think a church rubbish sale is a very appropriate place...if I am remembering correctly the graveyard of the title is part of a church.

♥ Marlene♥ 4 laugh out loud moments. Wow. There are not many books that make me do that. I love when they manage to do just that!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh ♥ Marlene♥ wrote: "4 laugh out loud moments. Wow. There are not many books that make me do that. I love when they manage to do just that!"

Helps if you have a weird sense of humour. I do, suspect you do as well:)

Kelly A weird sense of humor is the best kind ;-) I always say if a person isn't a little weird in some way then they must be boring!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Kelly wrote: "A weird sense of humor is the best kind ;-) I always say if a person isn't a little weird in some way then they must be boring!"

No one could ever accuse you of being boring, Kelly. Weird, yes, in a weirdly wonderful way. See you added it - good - so much want to see what you think!

Shelli Your review says everything I want to say! Can I copy and paste it....LOL...fun book!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Shelli wrote: "Your review says everything I want to say! Can I copy and paste it....LOL...fun book!"

Go for it:) You said the same as me - just not as wordy - fun book!
I'm new to this genre, don't know how it stacks up to the competition but I sure loved it.

Kelly Florence wrote: "Kelly wrote: "A weird sense of humor is the best kind ;-) I always say if a person isn't a little weird in some way then they must be boring!"

No one could ever accuse you of being boring, Kelly. ..."

Why I'll accept that lovely compliment...thank you my darling! The exact same thing could be said of you :-)

Kelly You guys have me sold on this one. I just bookmarked it at my library. Need to finish a few books first including Alas, Babylon :-)

message 17: by Florence (Lefty) (last edited May 02, 2013 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Kelly wrote: "You guys have me sold on this one. I just bookmarked it at my library. Need to finish a few books first including Alas, Babylon :-)"

So glad you're going to try it Kel, really hope you like it! You know I'm actually a little nervous about Alas, Babylon It's SO what I don't normally read - but I am going to read it (after I finish 2 books I'm in the middle of myself)

message 18: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline I'm glad to hear it's funny--and well paced!

Kelly It is so witty...I loved reading this book. Pure pleasure :-)

message 20: by Amanda L (new) - added it

Amanda L Outside my typical genre(s) and I'm intrigued!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Amanda L wrote: "Outside my typical genre(s) and I'm intrigued!"

Mine as well Amanda. So highly rated I thought I'd try it, if you're in the mood for a mental break you might give it a go.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer You really should be writing book reviews for a living. You're great at it