Mimi's Reviews > When Twilight Breaks

When Twilight Breaks by Sarah Sundin

I've only read one other of the author's stories and she has an incredible gift of writing in this time period. When Twilight Breaks gives the perspective of an American woman working as a correspondent in Nazi Germany. It was such an unusual job for a woman in a country on the verge of war. As we first meet Evelyn Brand, you get the full sense of what she has to fight for to earn a spot writing with the men. Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle.

We also meet Peter Lang, and honestly, he may be one of my new, favorite leading men! He sees what's happening in Germany as a good thing. He's an American with a German heritage and he loves the order in which Hitler's regime is bringing to the country. Hard to believe I find him so likable, right? You understand more about why he sees things the way he does as you get to know him more through the story. I also love how he sees Evelyn.

She's a strong woman who is dedicated to her career. Where other men of that time saw Evelyn as living outside the norm and not being comfortable with it, Peter sees her in a refreshing light. It's fun how they banter back and forth as well as how he pursues her even after she continues to turn him down. Evelyn on the other hand can NOT figure this man out, but while she's amused by his efforts, his belief in what the Nazi party is doing is an obvious barrier.

As things heat up and become more dangerous, we see how both Peter and Evelyn's thoughts and feelings shift on a number of things. The story is intense from the beginning, but seriously, I felt like every other moment my heart rate would go up because of a potentially critical situation either one or both of them were in. The thought of having to share the truth about what was going on and putting your life at risk of doing so is unimaginable!

If you love WWII stories, this one is NOT to be missed. Yes, it's PRE-WWII, which actually sets it apart and shows what it must've been like before it all began.

*I received this book from the publisher for review. This is my personal opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Twilight Breaks.

January 3, 2021 – Shelved