J's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Keary Taylor

Jul 22, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: ya, science-fiction, romance, ebook, dystopia, dnf

Let me preface that I did actually give this book a shot. I made it to about page 70 and, in the absence of no discernible plot and my massively flagging interest, I gave up. While I have noticed the severe lack of editing, the major problem for me was that I felt like I was reading the love triangle/cyberpunk version of I Am Legend. Basically, it had all been done before and in a much better and much more interesting way.

The plot, in short, is that Eve discovers she's not fully human but she's not one of the mindless zombie cybernetic infected either. And though she doesn't think she has feelings, both the mysterious West and the reliable Avian help her to see that, hey, she is really human after all! There's some survival stuff in there too, but I had to stop reading because I couldn't stomach anymore of the "I don't like West, but I really do. And now I like Avian even though I shouldn't, should? I" direction this was going. The author plays her cards way too early in the writing to even create any length of suspense. This book reads like a really obvious/badly proofread fan fiction much of the time. Definitely not good, particularly in the part where it tells me nothing about what being human really is like other than our oft fleeting fancies of which the protagonist is also prone.

So, if you really dig romances with a hint of dystopian background setting and all the cliché stuff of recent years, then yay! Great book!

But if you're like me and and you are looking for some original plot development and characterization, not to mention something that's obviously been through a decent editor, Eden is so not the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.