AGC's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

10691950
Jul 22, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, sports, biography

Very easy and quick read. Most of the chapters are organized around the different races or preparation and training for the races, so it was easy to follow. The actual narrative could have used some work, as most of it was all about the different races he'd run, and occasionally throwing in some reflections. So it felt like there was nothing new towards the end of the book, except tracking his progress and graceful decline as the best.

What I really loved was his short tips at the end and the recipes for his vegan lifestyle. Although I'm an avid runner, it's refreshing to hear an expert going back to and sticking with just the basics of running: how to do it and why. As for the vegan recipes, I am definitely going to try some of them for myself, which to me, is a huge step, as a meat protein-crazed power-lifter.

Jurek sheds so much light on the small, yet always welcoming, culture of ultramarathon runners, and talks a lot about mind over matter, why we do the things we do (like running 100 miles in a go), the benefits of a vegan diet, and many other interesting topics. I'd definitely recommend this book to runners, veterans and newbies alike, and anyone interested in changing lifestyles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.