Jeff's Reviews > CyberSpace

CyberSpace by Matthew Mather

Interesting Time To Read These Stories. I read CyberStorm nearly a year ago, in February 2020. Right as the COVID issue was beginning to cause global panic. But at least that story *mostly* focused on New York City, so while it was uncomfortable due to being all-TOO-realistic, it was at least possible to tell myself (as a Southern man who has only rarely even been through or over NYC) that it wouldn't happen here.

This book kept that all-too-realistic nature going (though with perhaps a few too many shots at billionaires who are legitimately trying to save humanity at the front), but this time went from New Orleans to Virginia Beach via Mississippi, Kentucky, and Ohio. Much harder to tune out as "it can't happen here", particularly since I stared down the face of Irma less than a month after moving to Florida and this book features just such a storm bearing down on Virginia. ;)

Overall truly a remarkable work of near-future science fiction, one that primarily uses tech that is already available to tell a tale that will hopefully never come to fruition.

And that ending! Let's just say I'm glad I read this book in January 2021, knowing CyberWar - the next book - is slated to be released in just a few months. :D Very much recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CyberSpace.

January 2, 2021 – Started Reading