Wynne Channing's Reviews > Treason

Treason by S.M. Boyce

Jul 21, 2012

Read in August, 2013

When I started Treason, I gladly gave myself up to S.M. Boyce, ready to be taken on an amazing adventure. I stayed up all night and devoured this book in 24 hours (only stopping to work and eat).
The story continues from where Lichgates left off: a magical world on the brink of war, a girl discovering her true powers and a complicated but passionate growing love. Boyce hits her stride in Treason. The characters, even the so-called villains, become more real as Boyce unfurls their motivations and explores their layers. They are flawed, hurt and conflicted. I feel like I know them and I wonder how they're doing as I wait anxiously for the next instalment in the series. The plot gets better. How Boyce plans out the political jockeying and the deceit is genius. I delighted in each character's competing motives. Boyce knows just how to pit monsters vs monsters and her fight scenes are fan-flipping-tastic.
Treason is a perfect book. It's exciting, tense and funny -- while dealing with lofty themes such as redemption and betrayal. And the ever-evolving heroine, Kara, is kick-ass: "I won't let Ourea remember me as the pathetic girl chained in a cell because the Bloods beat me. To hell with that! If I go down, it'll be with a fight!"
Can't wait for the fight to continue with Heritage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treason.

09/01/2013 marked as: read