Courtney's Reviews > King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

King's Cross by Timothy J. Keller

Jul 21, 2012

This is the second Tim Keller book I've read, and, after listening to him preach and reading his work, I am even more impressed with how simply and succinctly he creates a picture or an argument. King's Cross is a book that started as the transcriptions of many of his sermons on Mark's gospel, and in it Keller does a terrific job of teaching about Jesus, just as He is. Keller paints a clear picture of what Mark is saying in his terse wording, explains how it related to the religious and historical culture, and then shows us how radical Jesus really was.
In the midst of detailing and unpacking Jesus' words, interactions, and purpose, Keller says, "There is a final irony to all of this. Jesus, who united such apparent extremes of character into such an integrated and balanced hole, demands an extreme response from every one of us. He forces our hand at every turn in the story." One of the things that stuck out most to me was how Jesus' purpose in coming to this earth was different than the leader of any and every other religion. Other religious leaders' purpose was to live an exemplary life--Jesus' purpose was to die. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to take a look at the life of Jesus in a deep, transformative way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King's Cross.