Molly Ringle's Reviews > Persephone

Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis

bookshelves: persephone, hades-and-persephone, hades

'Persephone' is a fun, imaginative, smart retelling of my favorite myth, fusing modern culture with a rich world of magic. I had such a great time reading this. I ate it up in just a few days. With its irreverent sense of humor and its intelligent references, it reminds me most of Joss Whedon, in particular the livelier, funnier seasons of "Buffy" or "Angel."

Persephone, a modern high school girl, is more than a bit surprised to learn that the Underworld is a real place, her mom is a real goddess, and she (Persephone) is on the verge of coming into her own powers. Soon Persephone gets temporarily stuck for her own protection in the realm of Hades, who's a hot and introverted immortal (his introversion really endeared him to me), and through her we get a visit to a richly and cleverly drawn paranormal world.

Kaitlin Bevis has done her homework. The side characters are nearly all inspired by mythology (some famous, like Orpheus; some more obscure, like Pirithous), but they are all fleshed out as individuals. The Underworld's features include lots of the geography we know from myths: various rivers with different magical properties, a hell-like area (Tartarus), and an awesome palace for the royalty. But it also has fun modern features like the ability to transform your rooms into a spa, and redo your wardrobe telepathically. But among the diverting innovations and renovations, darker and sadder scenes crop up, as is fitting for the afterlife: Orpheus will move you (naturally), and you'll cheer for Persephone when she demands to know why the hell the gods allow all the horrible things in the world to happen. (Though it's not like anyone can be expected to have a good answer to that.)

As a sucker for the Persephone/Hades relationship, I thought the romance was quite well handled. They keep up amusing banter, which lapses into sweet tenderness when Hades leaps in to protect Persephone from dangerous forces, and they share a couple of good "KISS HIM!" moments. It's clear they love each other, enough that I felt satisfied with where things end in this installment, but I very much look forward to watching their marriage of convenience mature into a full-blown steamy one in the next two books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persephone.

July 21, 2012 – Shelved