Scott's Reviews > Across the Mekong River

Across the Mekong River by Elaine  Russell

Jul 21, 2012

bookshelves: blog-reviews
Read from July 21 to 25, 2012

Across the Mekong River follows the Hmong family on their turbulent journey from the newly Communist controlled Laos eventually leading them to California. The viewpoint of the book switches between Nou Lee or Lisa, the main character, and her parents Pao and Yer.

Pao was a freedom fighter during the early stages of the conflict in Laos, fighting so his family's lifestyle can remain the same that it has always been. When the American's withdraw their support from the Special Forces in country the Communists come after them with a vengeance in order to remove any local resistance before it has a chance to organize. This begins a very difficult time in the life of their family as they must escape the country without being captured and killed.

This book appealed to me due to my interest in the conflicts that America was involved with during the time this book takes place. I have read many books about the American Special Forces and the jungle warfare that they were involved in, but this is the first one I've read that deals with the lives of the people who were forgotten in all of the conflict. I never really thought about the difficulties that the people who were forced to flee to a new country, trying to remain true to their roots while surviving in a land that doesn't understand them.

This book did an excellent job touching on the emotional journey of the various members of the family with the old guard trying to stay as true as possible to their roots and Lisa/Nou Lee trying to fit in at her school. I was a bit hesitant about this book since it's pretty far from the norm for me, but I find myself saying that a lot lately and always enjoying myself when I venture into new areas. This book will not disappoint anyone who wants to give it a shot and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Mekong River.

07/25/2012 page 262
07/27/2016 marked as: read

Madonna Nou Lee took the American name of Laura, not Lisa. Sorry, I am a stickler for accuracy.