Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Heart of the Family

The Heart of the Family by Elizabeth Goudge

2281988

bookshelves: 2021, format-ebooks, genre-historical-fiction, audience-adults, source-scribd

This was such a lovely ending to this trilogy. I love the way the characters mature and change over the course of the three books, and how their relationships also stretch and grow and remake themselves as time goes by. Goudge writes so well about human beings at very different stages of life. She writes wonderfully imaginative and mischievous children, as well as perfectly flawed and sometimes difficult elderly people. I would really love to find copies of all three books to have on my shelves, as I think the story of the Eliot family has much to say not just about these individual characters but about the human condition, faith in God, marriage and family, and many other important topics. In this third book, in particular, she drives home the long-lasting effects of war, and the healing power of home and family. Though I don't often read books more than once, this will decidedly not be my last time reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Family.

January 1, 2021 – Started Reading