Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket

The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne

Jul 21, 2012

bookshelves: review-books, signed, ukmg, favourites, uea
Read on July 22, 2012

I absolutely loved this book. It is far younger than what I would ever normally pick up and read but it is awesome in so many ways.

Firstly the message this book gives out is brilliant. It really plays with the idea about what it means to be different and how those differences should be celebrated. I loved how Barnaby just went with it and embraced his differences despite being brought up in a home with parents who loathed his differences. There a times in the book when you really feel for poor Barnaby and what he goes through and it is also fan to see how he just takes it all in his stride.

I loved that this book had a very Roald Dahl feel to it. Reading it took me back to the days when I was reading books like Matilda in how the story was written and I am sure if for nothing else this book will be loved by both young and old for that reason alone.

An really sad and uplifting book both at the same time which I certainly having done justice to in this review. Just buy it and fall in love with Barnaby and his abnormal ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket.

04/09 marked as: read