Stephanie's Reviews > Moonglow

Moonglow by Kristen Callihan

3919719
Jul 21, 2012

Please check out the original post at MOONGLOW Burns Pretty Hot on Fangs, Wands & Fairy Dust

MOONGLOW
Darkest London 2
by Kristen Callihan
Forever/Grand Central
July 31, 2012
Paperback 432 pages
E-book 600 KB
Disclosure: E-Galley loaned by publisher via NetGalley.com. No remuneration was exchanged and except as noted, all opinions expressed herein are my own.

Once the seeds of desire are sown . . . Finally free of her suffocating marriage, widow Daisy Ellis Craigmore is ready to embrace the pleasures of life that have long been denied her. Yet her new-found freedom is short lived. A string of unexplained murders has brought danger to Daisy's door, forcing her to turn to the most unlikely of saviors . . .
Their growing passion knows no bounds . . . Ian Ranulf, the Marquis of Northrup, has spent lifetimes hiding his primal nature from London society. But now a vicious killer threatens to expose his secrets. Ian must step out of the shadows and protect the beautiful, fearless Daisy, who awakens in him desires he thought long dead. As their quest to unmask the villain draws them closer together, Daisy has no choice but to reveal her own. www.hachettebookgroup.com

Kristen Callihan has a way of creating characters and plots that keep me glued to page after page long after my husband's snoring has begun. I think, Oh. I will just read a few more pages and before I know it I have finished the book. *frowns*

I have always thought it's funny how western culture idealizes the skinny woman with large breast when most women are not that shape at all. Larger breasted women tend towards roundness elsewhere. My experience has taught me that just as many round women have successful relationships as thinner women and I understand that our partners love our curves.

Daisy is a great example of an unfashionably rounder woman in a culture in which women's bodies were incarcerated. She is also a woman who loves sex but whose late husband was a sanctimonious prick. His loss. And, it will be no surprise that the Marquis, Ian Ranulf takes it as a boon. While both Ian and Daisy are fairly standard characters, they both have character development that sets them apart. They are both approachable. For a woman, Ian is a man you would idealize having in your fantasies. He is really fond of Daisy's amazing plump behind. Daisy has awesome backbone, hidden strengths and some secret scandal in her past. Her paranormal element does save the day, but it's pretty low-key. Her abilities are not as used as her sister's were in FIRELIGHT.

Speaking of FIRELIGHT -- This is a series, and while you could read this book on its own it would be better read in order. Some backstory from FIRELIGHT would make both the characters and plot easier to understand. This book was also set-up in the last as the next book is set-up in MOONGLOW.

In this aspect of this Victorian/Paranormal Romance the theme is truly one of self-realization. And, who better to experience a freer sexual self for a repressed Victorian female than having a werewolf as a lover. It could be a liberating experience! Hell, some of the love scenes had me swooning.

We get lovely snippets of information, for example this tidbit of wolf lore I had never read before (although it is easily located via an online search):

"Lycan is the name we use. It hails from the Greek lycos, which means 'wolf,' and the myth of Lycaon, the Arcadian king who served Zeus the the flesh of a man disguised as a roast. An angered Zeus turned him into a wolf as retribution." page 60

With a Victorian London backdrop, so vividly described you can get a whiff of the stench, and feel the blinding, acidic smog. Callihan slowly unfurls the connections within the plot, one that connects Daisy to Ian via coincidence. Different investigators put together different pieces. Some of the politics within the werewolf structure eluded me until the end. And, until the end I was surprised.

And, I am looking forward to the next book in this exciting series: WINTERBLAZE (2/26/2013).

This is Historical Paranormal Romance at it's best with great characters and a plot that will glue you to the page. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglow.