Valerie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky

Jul 20, 2012

Read in July, 2012

Harry Potter + science + philosophy = slightly mind boggling + very entertaining

All of the above is true.

However, whether or not I have truly read this fan fiction is a different question. In one sense, I have read it. In another, I have not. The reason for my discontinuity can easily be explained. I have read all of this work that exists up to this point in time. However, this book is far from complete.

In any case, though, I will accept that I have "read" this book because I can't be "currently-reading" something that is not available to be read by any members of the public.

On a different note (or, well, tone...)
I love this, I really do. When I read this fan fiction I can accomplish two of my favorite things at the same time: reading Harry Potter and learning.

In addition, if I hear anyone say that fan fiction is horrible garbage written by uneducated idiots (not that I've heard this exact phrasing before or even expect to in the future), I'll tell them to read this one. I'm sure it would be amusing to see their expressions once they actually try to read it. For one thing, it takes a ton of brain power to actually understand everything that goes on. In addition, this is definitely not a typical Harry Potter fan fiction. I would just love to see the amazement/bewilderment on their faces. Now that I really think of it, I imagine their expression would mirror one of Ron Weasley's/ Rupert Grint's faces in the Harry Potter movies. (I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

02/05/2016 marked as: read