Teresa's Reviews > The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down

The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Recommended to Teresa by: rhea

A book like this one should be required reading for anyone who lives in a community of multicultural members, and nowadays that's probably just about everyone. Sadly, and not surprisingly, those who would probably most benefit from a book like this would probably be the ones least likely to read it.

It's an eye-opener on cross-cultural issues, especially those in the medical field, but also in the religious, as the Hmong don't distinguish between the two. In understandable and compelling language, it also explains the background of the Hmong (historically, a migrating people without a country) and their CIA-recruited role in the American War in landlocked Laos, a place they didn't want to leave but were forced out of, and how so many of them ended up in Merced, CA.

There's a lot to learn here, but the most important thing for me was the, perhaps needless, conflict and heartbreak that can result when bureaucracies try to fit everyone into their one-does-not-fit-all pigeonholes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down.

July 20, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 26, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

rhea Agree all the way, great review.

message 2: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Oh my, I have this book for ages. Thanks, T.

Teresa rhea wrote: "Agree all the way, great review."

Thanks! And thanks for passing it along to me.

Teresa K.D. wrote: "Oh my, I have this book for ages. Thanks, T."

You're welcome. I hope you like it; I think you would.

message 5: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I'll look for my copy somewhere at the bottom of my stacks and stacks of books inside the bedroom. :)

message 6: by Merilee (new)

Merilee Me, too. I've had it for ages. I read her other one about books and really liked it. Did you know that her father (Clifford?) was a really well-known editor/compiler of collections of essays?

message 7: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Thanks, Theresa, for bringing this book into my radar.

Teresa Merilee wrote: "Me, too. I've had it for ages. I read her other one about books and really liked it. Did you know that her father (Clifford?) was a really well-known editor/compiler of collections of essays?"

I did.

In her acknowledgments she thanks her brother for reading this book into a tape recorder so her father could hear it since he had lost his eyesight by then.

Teresa Mikki wrote: "Thanks, Theresa, for bringing this book into my radar."

You're welcome, Mikki. And it's thanks to my daughter that it was brought into mine -- she read it for a class and then passed it on to me.

message 10: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Nice review Teresa. I have this on my list and need to get to it.

Teresa Sue wrote: "Nice review Teresa. I have this on my list and need to get to it."

Thanks, Sue. I feel safe in saying that I know you would like it.

message 12: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I absolutely know I will.