Richard Derus's Reviews > The Dangers of Fairy Compacts

Jul 20, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

Rating: 3* of five

The Book Report: Aeron the faerie is not his father's favorite child. Aeron is a faerie screw-up, little loved, and little loving of his fellow fae. One fine day, the voice he's heard in his head since childhood grows so loud that he can't ignore it anymore, and he follows it into the mortal realm.

There he meets Tam, a priest and the owner of the voice, who has summoned Aeron from Faerie to the mortal world with a binding spell.

Except he didn't know that's what he was doing. And he completely freaks when he sees Aeron.

Aeron spends a week in a tree, waiting for Tam to invite him in from the cold, and when Tam finally does, the boys are kept apart by Aeron's fury and Tam's guilt at summoning Aeron against his will. However, as both are comely lads and inclined to favor the male gender, things take their due course and the consummation devoutly to be desired occurs. Yay!

No! Because in the course of inter-, things are revealed that cause problems and big ones for Aeron. Once those are sorted out, assuming they can be, Aeron can be his own man...errrmmm, faerie...and then who knows? Will he choose to return to Tam?

My Review: One entire star off for heavy-handed vegetarian silliness.

I don't normally like phauntaisee, as anyone who has read my reviews will recall. The appeal here is the sheer delight of wingsex. (Read it, I ain't explainin' in public.)

The author's polished prose pleased my mental ear, and her inventive riffs on the prompt she got from the contest were beautifully done. If she'd left out the vegetarian gubbins, I'd happily have given this effort four stars. Those who think and eat low on the foodchain will no doubt overlook this disrespect for the work and effort of our ancestral humans, but I take a stand against the foolishness.

At all events, a pleasant 17,000 words, and more will come, I feel sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dangers of Fairy Compacts.

Richard Derus Not so long as you keep it entirely to yourself, I wouldn't. But the sheer obviousness of the product placement was too much.

Had it simply been a facet of the difference between human and faerie, I'd've given it a pass. But the "I can't believe he made me eat a cute li'l bundy wabbit" and the epic hurling fests were fingernails on the blackboard. Okay, okay! Veggies are Good, Meaties are Bad! Sheez.

BTW, meat-eating is the normal way for humans to eat. We're omnivores. Look at our teeth.

Richard Derus Moonbutterfly wrote: ""wingsex - that is funny.

My brother and his wife were debating the other day if animal cookies were vegetarian. I'm not kidding."

Holy maloley! That...welll...I...

Oh, really? My goodness!

message 3: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I know a vegan who won't eat animal shaped cookies. Even ones with vegan approved ingredients!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "I know a vegan who won't eat animal shaped cookies. Even ones with vegan approved ingredients!"

Seriously?

message 5: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Seriously. She's a friend of a friend and works in bunny rescue so my friend baked her a batch of bunny shaped vegan cookies for her birthday. Apparently she was appalled and couldn't bring herself to eat them. Luckily, my friend has a sense of humour and thought it was hilarious.

message 6: by Traveller (new)

Traveller LOL, i love your range, Richard!

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "Seriously. She's a friend of a friend and works in bunny rescue so my friend baked her a batch of bunny shaped vegan cookies for her birthday. Apparently she was appalled and couldn't bring hersel..."

I wonder if she has a problem with eating gingerbread people.

message 8: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 21, 2012 04:15AM) (new)

Jemidar Good question. My gut feeling would be probably not as she doesn't seem to be very fond of people.

message 9: by Traveller (new)

Traveller PS. My teeth are blunt, Richard!

(view spoiler)

Richard Derus The very IDEA of a ginger-Lecter! There are some sick puppies in this world. Heh. Me among them.

Trav dearie, my range is a function of my inability to filter out anything until I've tried it for myself. It's a PITA actually.

I can't even comment on how silly I find the animal-shaped cookie issue. When I was a child, we had a set of Thanksgiving dishes:

[image error]

I used to complain to my mother that it was creepy, later disrespectful, to eat the turkey off his own picture. She finally snorted mightily, said "don't you have anything more interesting to say?" and, well, I did, so I stopped talking and thinking about such a completely trivial and mind-bogglingly unimportant topic.

And so should they.