Kim's Reviews > Cast the First Stone

Cast the First Stone by David James Warren

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, mystery, sci-fi, suspense, time-travel, crime

Cast the First Stone
by David James Warren
Book 1 in the True Lies of Rembrandt Stone series
Rating: 4.5/5
Release date: February 9, 2021

I am a huge fan of Susan May Warren and was super excited to be chosen to be an early reviewer of this new series by multiple authors; however, I had a hard time reading past the first few chapters of the book but then BAM! The story really picked up, and I couldn't stop reading till the end. So if you start this book, please give it a chance and you will not be disappointed.

Rembrandt Stone's life is not perfect as a struggling author and former police investigator, but he doesn't hate his life. His wife, Eve, and daughter, Ashley, are the loves of his life, and he wouldn't have it any other way. When his old boss leaves him his watch and a box of cold case files, Rem's life gets very strange very fast. He remembers the unsolved case that haunts his nightmares and suddenly, it feels like he's traveled back in time to try to solve the case before it's too late. Can he discover what he missed previously? And at what cost?

Wow. Simple enough premise, but the authors did a great job of bringing Rembrandt Stone's past to life. I felt like I was right there with Rem experiencing the investigation and its many twists and turns. Getting into his head was interesting as he tried to sort through what he already knew from what he had forgotten. Although I wasn't quite hooked from the first few chapters, they were still necessary to establish Rem's background and home life. I expected the cliffhanger ending since it's a series and felt it was necessary. If you've ever seen the TV show, Continuum, you may enjoy this story that has some similarities but also has its own nuances. I can't wait to read what comes next!

Highly recommend if you enjoy time travel and crime thrillers with a hint of romance. I feel like the book (and series) has something for everyone.

My thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC of the book. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own. No positive review was expected and no compensation received.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast the First Stone.

January 1, 2021 – Shelved