Rachel's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

Jul 20, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult

I can't even. This is perfect. It's lovely and unsettling, and it reminded me of the way I felt about the world when I was a little girl: that dangerous, thrilling things lurked in the dark, and thinking slantwise is the only way to get there and back. This is the kind of story that makes me so terribly glad I've dedicated my life to books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Catherynne M. Valente
“For there are two kinds of forgiveness in the world: the one you practice because everything really is all right, and what went before is mended. The other kind of forgiveness you practice because someone needs desperately to be forgiven, or because you need just as badly to forgive them, for a heart can grab hold of old wounds and go sour as milk over them.”
Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

July 20, 2012 – Shelved
October 22, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 22, 2012 –
page 62
24.03% "Gorgeous book. Utter wonder."
October 28, 2012 –
page 90
34.88% "‎"I'm sure you've heard people talk about their Heart's Desire—well that's a load of rot. Hearts are idiots. They're big and squishy and full of daft dreams. They flounce off to write poetry and moon at folk who aren't worth the mooning. Bones are the ones that have to make the journey, fight the monster, kneel before whomever is big on kneeling these days. Bones do the work for the heart's grand plans.""
October 29, 2012 –
page 131
50.78% "Love. Stunning."
November 3, 2012 –
page 202
78.29% ""...though you might be prejudiced against the dark, you ought to remember that that's where stars live, and the moon and raccoons and owls and fireflies and mushrooms and cats and enchantments and a rather lot of good, necessary things.""
Started Reading