Tina's Reviews > 66º North

66º North by Michael Ridpath

Jul 20, 2012

Read from July 21 to 23, 2012

It was my first book about a crime story in Iceland. Actually it was 2 crime stories (or more if you break them down individually).

It's written so cleverly, with so much suspense building up, that I had a hard time putting it down, and finished it rather quickly. I just needed to know how everything unfolds.

I'm still amazed how well the author succeeded in interweaving basically 2 stories of a different era, slowly developing each one without getting the reader confused or elaborating too much. The main theme of the financial crisis, it's reasons and effects on different people was well drawn into a a big picture of the the story as a whole. Even someone like me, who isn't that much interested in economical development or politics, was not only able to follow, but actually drawn into the subject right from the start.

The use of Icelandic terms was explained and not too much. Everyone can keep up, without having knowledge about the language of Iceland :)

Towards the end, it all became a bit clearer obviously, and I would have liked to at least have had a bit more information about what's going to happen with all the characters in the next few months (aside from the main character - a detective who will continue working on proving his hunch on the murder of the second story in this book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 66º North.

07/21/2012 page 18