Ashley Chen's Reviews > The White Forest

The White Forest by Adam McOmber

Jul 20, 2012

bookshelves: blog-tour, ebook, must-review
Read from September 03 to 07, 2012

Brilliant book! This book contained this chilly Victorian atmosphere that I just adored to bits and pieces. The book was twisted and contorted in a way like what The Night Circus did to me. It was like a complex mix of flavours as if I just taken a bite of a rare fruit on some fantasy land. It seemed like there were layers after layers of story and flavours within the novel. I was desperately trying to identify each flavouring as if I was trying to figure out a recipe by taste. And like a fancy restaurant dish, The White Forest was in so many way exquisite and brilliant in every single possible way. The mystery within the book seemed to added a little crispness to the dish, the romance added a little spice, while the jealousy added sweet bitterness.

Jane has a special ability which I found really original (but did reminded me of the Fullbring in Bleach). I loved Jane. She was lonely, and knew little emotions. At first I thought of Sai (due to the lack of emotions) but Jane was actually really different from Sai. Jane craved every ounce of attention from her friends, Maddy and Nathan. It was so weird. (I like to furrowed my bows a lot and trust me, this book didn't help me undo that habit). She was not your girl with a perfect heart (and you don't know how much I loved that). Jane craved attentions from her friends and in return Nathan yearned for more knowledge of Jane's gift. The obsessive desires in this book really reminded me of some crazy mad scientist with a peculiar experiment, this in turn made me felt somewhat uncomfortable (in a good way) and perhaps thought that Jane was a little "dangerous". And odd doesn't even cover Jane, the world need to invent a word just to describe her. The complex levels within Jane herself was already mind boggling, imagine a mystery and relationship with friends. She was so different from all the other characters out there, so rare that you just want to treasure her forever. Jane just tugged at my heartstring.

I do have to say the lyrical style of this book was hard for me to get into. I was confused in the beginning and had to adapt to the style. Moreover, by having the narration going from past to present, it also confused me to a certain degree. But this book in someway was perfect for me right now. It brought something different for me to the table and I needed a change. :) I didn't want a nice simple story that a five year old can predict. I wanted something deep, something that can slowly seeped into my skin and chilled my bones. This gave me that and beyond. I will definitely read this book over to just experience the feelings once again furthermore perhaps I had missed something. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Forest.