Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Leave Me Breathless

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: adult, contemporary-romance, romantica-or-erotica
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Smut Monday Club
Read in November, 2012

Love the book...hate, hate, hate this cover.

Sigh. Someday my favorite smut books will have covers which don't make me want to hurl. This cover makes me think of a pro-wrestling couple.

But anyway...cover aside, I couldn't NOT read Leave Me Breathless. This is the author who brought me one of my all-time favorite book men...the super-lovable, super-sexy Brian from Rock Me. To emphasize just how awesome Brian is, let's put this into perspective : Candace, the female lead from Rock Me is in my top 3 for most annoying heroines OF ALL TIME. Normally, a character who pushes me to want to commit incredible acts of violence would be more than enough to make me want to stop reading a book, yet I've read Rock Me 3 times now. THAT, my friends, is the power of Brian.

There is something about Cherrie Lynn's way of writing which draws you into the story and makes you feel like you're right there with the characters. Whether the character is getting a tattoo, attending a rock concert, or having the best, mind-blowing sex of their life - you're right there along for the ride. It doesn't matter if the drama is over-the-top or there are a few cringe-worthy terms sprinkled throughout the sex scenes because you still feel. You want to be there. It's not hard to see that an author must have some sort of knack for pulling me in, if I'm throwing all of my "checklist annoyances" right out the window.

This third book in the Ross Siblings saga might be my favorite in the series when it comes to story. Ghost still doesn't top Brian on my hot guy scale (Sorry, I'm just not a fan of massively buff guys wearing shirts that are too tight for them...the look is too meathead for my tastes. I'll take Brian's sexy hair and leaner frame any day), but Ghost and Macy had a more believable story with less ridiculous back-and-forth drama than Brian and Candace put us through.

I thought it was adorable that Candace and Brian had a small part in getting Ghost/Seth and Macy together.
Bless all their scheming little black hearts.

The book itself had a nice little balance of plot to steam. We got rewarded early-on in the book, and there were plenty of hot moments sprinkled throughout the story. This is romantica (probably shouldn't use that term, since I think EC owns it, hah) at its best - good story balanced with great sex.

I remember reading Rock Me (book 2) over 2 years ago when no one had heard of the book, and pushing it on most every romance reader that I knew as a nice bridge to erotica. It's nice to see that others have fallen in love with this series in the meantime. People have asked me about reading order and I'm going to be honest - I wasn't a fan of book 1, so I wouldn't personally recommended it (even though I have friends who liked it). The first book doesn't have the same gritty vibe that books 2 and 3 have and almost reads like a Harlequin romance. Since I started with book 2 and didn't feel like I'd really missed anything after going back and picking up the first book, I'd say that anyone new to the series should skip Unleashed and go straight for Rock Me. Tattoo parlors and rock concerts are far more exciting than book 1's hotel room interlude with a businessman *yawn*. If you've ever wanted to dip your toes into the steamier side of romance, this is the series to do it with. You'll have a lot of fun, trust me. Sexual tension is worth the effort when two people finally get what they've denied themselves for far too long.
Please. I only want you. I've always only wanted you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leave Me Breathless.

Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads I am reading this too. Can't wait to read your review <3

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette sounds like a very naughty naughty read;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I absolutely loved it, which is rare for me to say about any contemporary smut book these days. Most of them I've picked up lately seem to all read the same.

message 4: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Great review.And yeah the woman in the cover looks like a wrestler!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm not gonna lie. My nephew may have persuaded me to take him to a WWF event back in the 90's, haha. That seems like forever and a day ago.

The only fighting in our house these days is MMA because my husband is obsessed with it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I do remember them!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Hahaha! The cover does look like a pro wrestling couple! You just made me choke on some water. Note to self: don't be drinking anything while reading one of your reviews! :0)

message 8: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Great review Stacia! I completely agree with the anti-Candace vibe, and Brian being enough to carry that story through. God, I love him! And God help me but I love Seth too - even with the dodgy book cover. Love the romantica :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Rebecca and AJ. :)

Seth is great too, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't kick him out of bed if he's got all that skill goin' on. :p His physical description wasn't always my thing but I liked the ball cap and hoodie look that he was rocking at the start!

message 10: by Giedre (new)

Giedre Nice review, but I won't be reading this. I think I'll be buying Rock Me, since you liked Brian so much. :)

message 11: by Marion (new)

Marion Croslydon i loved Rock Me. Brian is so not my type, still I fell in love with him. It's also great writing. Unleashed, in comparison, was a bit too flat and predictable. Thanks for the review! M

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's exactly how I felt about Unleashed.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I'm going to be reading Rock Me asap too.

Michele Realitybitesblog Understand hating the cover. It doesn't look like Macy to me at all!!!

message 15: by Marion (new)

Marion Croslydon Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "That's exactly how I felt about Unleashed.

Giedre, just be prepared that the female will be extremely frustrating. Brian makes up for her though."

Unfortunately, female leads are frustrating MOST OF THE TIME... They've been Bella-ised ;-)

message 16: by Giedre (new)

Giedre Bella. Shudder. :/

Karla Great review Stacia! Love that pic and your ranting above the cover. LOL!

Laci Nice Review, Glad to see I'm not the only one with cover issues. It gets me a little that they use the same cover for different books, like, Tempt me, Devoured, and Rock Star Goupie. Even this book has same cover as Ink Lust, they've changed the girl's hair color but still same picture.

message 19: by Leea (new) - added it

Leea I can't wait to read this. Great review!! I agree about the cover. Lol!

message 20: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Chyna and Triple H! LOL

message 21: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Or was it China?

Whitney ZOMG, yes! You are SO right about covers!! They play right into the stigma of romance novels and make them all look cliche. Makes me sad.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think it was Chyna with a y...maybe even 2 'n's?

Most romance/erotic covers are bad because there's so much cheese and tackiness, or they look too similar with other covers as mentioned. It makes me glad I have an ereader.

Thanks. :)

Kristen I agree with everything you said! I loved this book too. I just adore your reviews, Stacia. They are always well written, fun to read, never over-the-top with pictures, and honest.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) Do you have to read the first two to know what is going on in this one?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't think you have to read either because you won't be lost if you don't, but I would personally recommend reading Rock Me first just because Brian makes a cameo in this one and it's nice to be able to swoon over Brian already knowing who he is. The first one, I'd just skip altogether.

Kristen wrote: "I agree with everything you said! I loved this book too. I just adore your reviews, Stacia. They are always well written, fun to read, never over-the-top with pictures, and honest."

Thanks Kristen. :) I try not to use pics in every review anyway because I have some friends who like pics and others who don't, so I only use them some of the time.

Catherine Great review, Stacia. You are so right about book one being different from books two and three. I know it had characters in the same world (and introduced us to Brian :D) but it was completely different in tone than the other two.

Brian was an awesome character but the heroine grated on me. If I would have enjoyed her character more then I think it might be a toss up on book two or book three being my favorite. Right now though it's book three for me. I really enjoyed the h/h's dynamic better.

message 28: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri I have this to read, I just need to bump it up in my TBR. Great review!

Leanne Great review! I have certainly wanted to strangle some of these heroines, but the heroes- Brian and Ghost... love, love them!

Shannon Loved this book!!! Great review.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Catherine, Keri, Leanne and Shannon. Completely agree about Candace but Brian and Ghost and incredible. :)

Jen I just started reading this and all I can think about is pro wrestling.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh crap. Sorry about that. :(

Jen I'm just glad it wasn't sumo or midget. I'm going to need a hot Brian, Rock Me reread after this.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I am definitely more of a Brian girl.

message 36: by Rae (new)

Rae Quigley HAHAHAHA TRIPLE H AND CHYNA. Sorry, just noticing.

Stacia (the 2010 club) In that epic pose, no less. :p

Amanda Grooms I agree about the cover, but there was no way I was going to be dissuaded from this book!

Stacia (the 2010 club) No doubt! I was happy to read Ghost and Macy's story. I have the Ross siblings Christmas story that I hope to get to sometime in the next week or two.

Sarah Bravo on the cover analogy! That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the cover. From what I gathered fr the books Macy was quite dainty and feminine and the woman's on the cover is kinda...butch. Thanks fr getting a chuckle out of me on this one!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Macy does look much tougher on the cover. Glad you had a laugh!

Sarah I gotta add, when I saw Triple H and Chyna's pic it just hit me, bham! This is is what's wrong (but oh so hilarious) bout this cover lol.

message 43: by Kuroneko (new) - added it

Kuroneko I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THE COVER. UGH!! it's so not Macy, that wrestler-like lady looks atleast 35! why the hell did they choose this cover, major turn off. I actually saw this weeks ago got interested in the plot but I had to pass because the cover is really making me cringe.LOL I know I should not judge a book by it's cover.hahaha I just finished Rock Me and I want to read MORE BRIAN!!! LOL so now I should just ignore the cover..

P.S. I also did not read Unleashed & yeah I thought book3 is about Brian's sister..LOL good thing it's Ghost's story.Love the crew!

message 44: by Kuroneko (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) This is a good follow-up to Rock Me - so worth the read, even with the crappy cover. :p

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ That pro-wrestler comment killed me. I don't think I can read this book without picturing China and Triple H as the main characters, lol.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Hah. I didn't mean to mess it up for anyone. :)