Henrietta's Reviews > The Assassin and the Empire

The Assassin and the Empire by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 19, 2012

The Assassin and the Empire starts out with Celaena having everything that she wants and loves, and then things go tumbling, crushing her, drowning her in some of her deepest, most excruciating fears. For those who have read the blurb about Throne of Glass, we know at the beginning of the full-length novel that Celaena is being punished for her crimes and she is serving out hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier. So, imagine how things must have gone really really wrong in this novella in order for her to lose everything and be serving out hard labor in the salt mines!

I find myself emotionally invested – laughing, shaking my head, screaming oh, no, throwing fist, weeping and crying as I follow Celaena’s journey in this novella. It’s somewhat uncomfortable and almost painful to watch how things keep spiraling out of control, and Celaena, while being smart and young and badass and beautiful and strong, just couldn’t think fast enough, move quick enough, and stay calm enough to connect the dots and get herself away from the peril.

Do I wish a different outcome for Celaena and Sam? Yes, but at the same time, I must say it’s priceless to be able to witness and tune into all the dark emotions that Celaena goes through when she feels she’s being shaken to her core.

Through reading all four novellas, I learn that Celaena is not just an assassin, but also a girl who appreciates music, enjoys luxuries, and has a yearning desire to be loved. She has such a spontaneous attitude that even when she is annoyingly impatient and rashly hot-headed that I still find her charmingly sweet, delightful and adorable.

I can't wait to read Throne of Glass. If you haven't read this novella. I urge you to get it now. You won't be disappointed.

For more of my reviews, visit LeisureReads.com.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Empire.

Henrietta You must get this one! I'm really enjoying it :)