Liz's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Nov 09, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: 2-star, young-adult, vampires, paranormal, class-resources-for-young-adults
Read in August, 2009

After all of the hype about this book, I wanted to read it to find out what exactly everyone was so enthusiastic about. It's not meant to be a great work of literature, and I would like to note that in this review, I'm not trying to compare Twilight to the classics or any other book. As I read this book, I enjoyed the story enough, but am giving it a rather low rating because I didn't particularly enjoy the writing or the narration. However, I'm really curious to find out what will happen, and I've also heard that New Moon is better, so I do intend to continue reading the series.

Temptation and the idea of being different are both very important concept in this novel, and Meyer talks a lot about these in the context of the high school in Forks. I have to say that at times, I felt like Meyer shared every minute detail of the high school drama (who likes who, etc.), and grew a bit tired of that at times. I also didn't really like the fact that the story didn't really pick up until the last 100 pages. However, I did really like how she wrote about ideas of how vampires were formed and the American Indian legends surrounding vampires.

Another thing that bothered me about the plot is that Bella kept saying how in love she was with Edward. However, she only seemed to talk about how gorgeous and perfect he was. My personal opinion is that one tends to fall in love with someone based on more than looks and with the knowledge that the other person isn't perfect. There were also moments where Edward was kind of controlling of Bella and he wouldn't explain why at first, and at the time I had kind of a hard time relating to this because as I read, I was thinking, "Uh, at this point, I would be really wary and not overly trusting of this guy!" I'll be interested to see how Edward and Bella's relationship and views of each other transform throughout the rest of the series.

I also thought that Bella was kind of a whiny and over the top narrator. There was a lot of angst, and although everyone goes through that phase (I know I did), it did start to get old after a couple hundred pages. I also felt that sometimes the way Bella expressed herself was a little over the top. When I think about it more, I feel that because I disliked Bella and her voice as a narrator, I thought to myself, "I might enjoy Meyer's writing style more if it was told through a different character/narration."

On one last side note, in the end of this edition there are some discussion questions, one of them revolves around the fact that this is supposedly based off of Pride and Prejudice. Although I can see that they are both romantic comedies, I felt that in each work the characters wound up where they were at the end for very different reasons.

I hate to say it, but I am a little addicted, being drawn into the storyline :) I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

08/06/2009 page 11
2.21% "It called out to me in the midst of my insomina. I caved."
08/10/2009 page 196
39.36% "I am so glad my boyfriend isn't like Edward."
08/11/2009 page 236
47.39% "Poorly written, and Bella is irritating, yet slightly addictive."
show 4 hidden updates…

Allison (The Allure of Books) not your first reading is it?

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz It is indeed. I'll let you know what I think.

Allison (The Allure of Books) ooooooo, wow.

I'm totally embarassed by how obsessed I am was with those.

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz I don't think I'm far enough in yet to develop an obsession. I'm trying to finish Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close first.

Bhumi lol, Me too, Allison. Except I think I still am.

Allison (The Allure of Books) yeah I am too. lol.

Actually I just have a mortifying thing for Robert Pattinson

pretend you don't see that ;) I'm in the closet about it. hehe.

Bhumi Same here.

Oops. Nevermind. :)

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz I promise not to tell that either ofyou like him ;)

Tahleen Liz, I'll be interested to see what you think of New Moon. I thought it was horrendous. Especially if you picked up the controlling aspect in the first book; I'd really like to read your next review.

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz I'll try not to keep you in anticipation for too long, hahaha. When I order a bunch of books for school off amazon in a week I htink New Moon may accidentally jump into the shopping cart, although getting around to reading it may be a slighlty different story!

Tahleen Haha! "Whoops, how did THAT get there?" Good luck with your pleasure reading, hope your course load isn't too crazy.

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz Thanks, I'm taking 4 classes which is normal at my school but two are English and one is history so I will be doing lots of reading! Meh, I'll need a few breaks.